Jeld Wen Norco Windows rotting

Mike Lamb

In the late 1990s I found Norco clad casement windows less than 10 years old completely rotted out like sponges enough times to consider it epidemic.

Jeld Wen bought them out in 1997. I have seen them a lot and they all looked really good until this year where I have found two different houses with the Norco casement windows rotting out after only 10 years or less.

So keep a good eye out for Norco windows.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201361022313_152norco.jpg

46.76 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201361022338_153norc.jpg

43.39 KB

Unless the windows are pre-finished, the window reps that I know tell me that they require you to finish the windows shortly after installation or you risk voiding the warranty. In your photos it looks like the windows are still raw wood.

The wood you can see from inside was all varnished but the interior where the crank guts are did look like raw wood. It seems like a bad idea to count on the home owner to finish areas that can only be easily seen from outside with the window open.

Unless the windows are pre-finished, the window reps that I know tell me that they require you to finish the windows shortly after installation or you risk voiding the warranty. In your photos it looks like the windows are still raw wood.

The wood you can see from inside was all varnished but the interior where the crank guts are did look like raw wood. It seems like a bad idea to count on the home owner to finish areas that can only be easily seen from outside with the window open.

I agree.

FYI-A little diversion, but in the same category. Problems like this are not unique to one manufacturer.

http://www.windowsettlement.com/

(not a surprise-if you read the settlement, the real winners are the attorneys)