Bathroom ventilation.

Had an inspection yesterday on a home originally built in 1983, it has been extensively "remodeled" since. Two of the bathrooms have no fan or window and do have shower/tub installed. I looked all over the place for a previous vent and found nothing. Tile roof, no vent cap that could have indicated a previous exit point for a fan. No side wall louvers etc... I explained to my clients that this is not correct and one of two vent types has to be present(window or fan).

Am I missing something? Was it not required in 1983? ASHRAE 62 was developed in 1989, but, there had to be something in 83 right?

I don't think it would matter if it was required in '83. The fact that it was remodeled twice would require it at those points. 'Least that's how it is here. Bathrooms and kitchens require a permit.

Unfortunately, here as elsewhere, many supposed home improvement types who do this work (even if they have a license) don't pull a permit and are fairly clueless when it comes to code - electrical or plumbing.

I would suggest the client inquire about past permits.

'Flips' are usually notorious for this.

Some counties here allow permit searches online. Any property, just type in an address.

Had an inspection yesterday on a home originally built in 1983, it has been extensively "remodeled" since. Two of the bathrooms have no fan or window and do have shower/tub installed. I looked all over the place for a previous vent and found nothing. Tile roof, no vent cap that could have indicated a previous exit point for a fan. No side wall louvers etc... I explained to my clients that this is not correct and one of two vent types has to be present(window or fan).

Am I missing something? Was it not required in 1983? ASHRAE 62 was developed in 1989, but, there had to be something in 83 right?

In Washington State, at that time, it would have been normal for a "landlocked" bathroom to have a fan that vented only into the attic. I see it all the time in southwest WA. If it had been remodeled, they could easily have wiped all evidence of the old fan.

It doesn't really matter though. Just tell them to install a fan and vent it to the outdoors.