Nosy Homeowner

I get to take the easy route. I tell them (nicely) when I arrive that I won't be able to discuss the findings with them due to state law, which is true. I can't discuss it with anyone but my client without their permission. I've had one or two get pissed and start up the "It's my house!" howl, to which I respond "Yes, but it's their inspection and you agreed to allow it. Are you asking me to violate state law sir?" So far it's never gone past that.

Sounds like you've had a bad one or two. Anything worth telling the class about?

Brian G.

Love That Law [:-love]

I find that asking them questions about their home and items on the disclosure, and letting them see you write the answers down, pretty much sends them scurrying out of the way.

I start by asking how long they've lived in the home, if there have been any termite treatments, foundation repair or other repairs/upgrades to the home.

Around here, most of the agents tell the Sellers not to be at home during the inspection. I find the hardcore Sellers are generally just curious/anxious about the inspection.

Like Donald, I end up bugging them with "too many questions" for them to feel comfortable. Usually they aren't there or don't want to hear any comments I might make.

Once the owner/occupant met me wringing their hands about a site drainage problem, and were anxious to show me how they had "fixed" the problem.

My response was a cold stare at the result, complete lack of verbal comment, and some studious appearing scratching of notes. They slinked away and didn't bug me anymore.

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

I find that asking them questions about their home and items on the disclosure, and letting them see you write the answers down, pretty much sends them scurrying out of the way.

That sounds like a winning idea. I'll bet that's pretty effective with most.

Brian G.

Ve Only Vant Ze Informashun [:-mean]

I don't care if the seller is along if they keep quiet. I just ask them to just listen and keep their comments to themselves until we are done. I figure if I impress the seller I will get called when they buy the next house.

If the seller has a comment for everything I say I change my inspection style from "Walkie-Talkie" to the inspect and report style. I inspect an area or system, ask my client to step outside, whisper my findings and proceed to the next area. I do this a couple of times and then go back to the "Walkie-Talkie" method to see if the seller gets the message about interrupting my inspewction. It usually works.

Brian,

I want to say thank you but it just wont come out.[:-taped] I don't know how long I could have gone without a slip up and who can afford that kind of mistake.[:-splat]I didn't mean to [:-pirate]your format but I guess I've been caught[:-paperba

and now that I have your permission I guess Thank you is all I have.[:-party]

Mike Garcia

Houses tell the story, I just write em' down.

(I read that somewhere, guy really had his head on straight.)

I'm polite, but I'm too focused to pay much attention to the sellers so it's easy for me to ignore them. If I feel it's necessary to respond to their questions, my answer is directed to the buyer. I also don't use my clients time to market to anyone on site. (I'm a technician, not a salesman)

I've had very few problems with sellers. From the past 19 years, I can only recall one notable incident that made me feel uncomfortable. A woman was selling the farm that had been in her family since the early 18th century. She was quite irritated with many of my comments to the buyer. After the third hour she began screaming at me: "You killed my children" over and over. I sent the buyers out to lunch, finished the inspection and met them at the restaurant. The sellers agent called me later to apologize. I was informed that the woman never had any children. [:-crazy]

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

... I also don't use my clients time to market to anyone on site. (I'm a technician, not a salesman)

I am also very focused and I don't let the seller influence me in doing the best inspection I can and reporting my findings.

Although you title yourself a "Technician", you are always selling(Marketing) yourself, even if it is not your intention. I would be surprised if you did not get some business from the people that owned the house you were inspecting and were impressed by your thorough inspection and wanted the same for themselves when they buy their next house.

What started it was my inspection yesterday where the seller basically followed me around asking questions. This has happened a few times but only when my clients are not present. I don't mind the questions, but this guy wanted to argue with me about every little thing. My favorite line is "well, it was that way when I bought the house". I agree with Donald, I think it is nervousness mainly. This is the last step in a long greulling process for the seller and an easy way for the buyer to back out.

I will have to try the passive agressive intimidation with questions for the seller suggested by others.