ABS vs PVC

MPdesign

• 3 weeks later...

Any issue with mixed ABS and PVC ?? Is there a glue/sealant issue??

Transition cement will effectively bond ABS & PVC. You're only supposed to use it to bond one "system" to another "system." For instance, you can bond the household waste piping system (ABS) to the under ground sewer system (PVC). You're not supposed to use it to connect ABS and PVC fittings and pipes willy nilly throughout the house.

As an experiment for the Oregon Association of Home Inspectors, several years ago, I made up a bunch of connections between ABS and PVC pipes using ABS cement, PVC cement, and transition cement. I then sliced the joined pipes laterally, to form a bunch of bookmatched sets. The members of the association then went at them with hammers, pliers, wrenches, etc in an effort to break the bonds.

No one could break any of the bonds.

Please forgive me because I have not been installing plumbing for many years.

Why are people installing ABS instead of white PVC these days for drain piping? Is it just cheaper? I thought that most PVC was DWV rated.

Thank you!

In my area when I see ABS drain pipe it usually means the house was built in the 1960s or maybe early 70s. Then everybody switched to PVC. Yet I know in other areas they continues to use ABS. Might have to do with the local supplies of raw materials. I was thinking maybe ABS was a west coast thing (like worm-drive saws and pressure treated HEM-FIR).

. . . I was thinking maybe ABS was a west coast thing (like worm-drive saws and pressure treated HEM-FIR). . .

Well the fir vs pine thing is clearly regional. But why is it that easterners have a thing against worm drive saws? I can't even imagine framing a house with a stinking sidewinder.

I have a titanium hammer because it's light and a 15 amp sidewinder ((8.1lbs with a blade speed that's 25% faster than any worm drive) for the same reason. I'm sure your proclivity for a 28 oz Estwing and a 14 lb. worm drive with a zillion moving parts makes your day go much faster?

I haven't touched a worm drive for 2 decades. My inability to pick up the thing and cut with one hand without having to swing it like a sack of potatoes is the reason I haven't touched any since. The center of mass was too far in front of the handle.

Are they still made that way?

Marc

. . . I was thinking maybe ABS was a west coast thing (like worm-drive saws and pressure treated HEM-FIR). . .

Well the fir vs pine thing is clearly regional. But why is it that easterners have a thing against worm drive saws? I can't even imagine framing a house with a stinking sidewinder.

I have a titanium hammer because it's light and a 15 amp sidewinder ((8.1lbs with a blade speed that's 25% faster than any worm drive) for the same reason. I'm sure your proclivity for a 28 oz Estwing and a 14 lb. worm drive with a zillion moving parts makes your day go much faster?

A titanium hammer?

Both of the hammers I use when I'm planning on driving more than one nail, are orange and burn butane. I thought worm drives were made for lefties with arms like Popeye?

• 2 months later...

As an experiment for the Oregon Association of Home Inspectors, several years ago, I made up a bunch of connections between ABS and PVC pipes using ABS cement, PVC cement, and transition cement. I then sliced the joined pipes laterally, to form a bunch of bookmatched sets. The members of the association then went at them with hammers, pliers, wrenches, etc in an effort to break the bonds.

No one could break any of the bonds.

Wait five years, then try it again...I bet you won't have the same results.