Flex gas line--OK for permanent ext.exposure?

AHI in AR

This is one of those questions that doesn't fit neatly into any forum category, but I'm asking it here. I'd look up more info but I'm on a shortened timeline to get the report out. Today's two year old home had a built in gas grill. Natural gas service was provided through a quick disconnect flexible line. It isn't too different from what I have on my camper, but I question whether it is intended for permanent exposure to the elements. No visible brand name, but the material is dark gray plastic of some type. First one to answer correctly gets my undying gratitude.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201455212242_DSCN4365.jpg

52.9 KB

Worthless answer: that looks a lot like what the local propane guys call "sharkskin" and it's used as a sleeve on the poly tubing they use outdoors when it's exposed above grade (they use CSST inside the structure).

Edit: this is what it looks like, it's PVC as far as I know, and it's on basically every installation around here.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2014560320_image.jpg

134.55 KB

Moot question.

The presence of a quick disconnect coupler indicates it is not intended as a permanent - year round - installation.

I don't see how it's a moot question. Intended as a year-round installation or not, the fact is that is how it's being used. Hence my question. There is no way to disconnect the hose and protect it from exposure since there's no way to store it anywhere else. The grill was a built-in type completely encased in brick. So even if you disconnect the hose at the coupling it is still exposed to the elements.

I would say it appears to be an improvised installation and it could be vulnerable to damage. For a permanent installation we expect to see black steel or copper with the appropriate fittings.

Flexible hose connections are not unusual on propane tanks, so there are certainly approved flex hoses out there. I can't answer the question beyond that.

Looking at it again, I see the flexible pipe going from the connector to the grill. I think it is no different than any hose going to a BBQ except that the installation is said to be permanent, so exposed to winter weather.