Apollo A/C refrigerant compatibility

corepot

Hello!

Does anyone have experience connecting high-efficiency (R410A) air conditioning units to Apollo Hydro Heat split system units?

I'm getting bids from A/C contractors to install a new A/C unit and connect it to the coolant coil in a (circa 1990) Apollo Hydro Heat split system in a house that has never been air conditioned before.

For some reason, the HVAC contractors take one look and say that my hydronic Apollo system is incompatible with newer (R410A) units and that if I want one, I will have to buy a new furnace. They also say that Apollo Hydro Heat IS compatible with old (R22) A/C units.

Have they got it right? Or it just a matter of finding the right refrigerant metering device?

Anyone know what type of refrigerant metering device is used in the Apollo Hydro Heat system? Is it a hydrostatic expansion valve? Is it compatible with R410A refrigerant and high efficiency (and quiet) condensers?

Thanks!

The Apollo systems uses water to provide heat. If you are wanting to add AC, that will require the addition of an evaporator coil which will use refrigerant and not water.

Listen to the HVAC contractors. Honestly you would do better getting rid of the 1990 system and putting in a new high SEER unit.

Hello!

Does anyone have experience connecting high-efficiency (R410A) air conditioning units to Apollo Hydro Heat split system units?

I'm getting bids from A/C contractors to install a new A/C unit and connect it to the coolant coil in a (circa 1990) Apollo Hydro Heat split system in a house that has never been air conditioned before.

For some reason, the HVAC contractors take one look and say that my hydronic Apollo system is incompatible with newer (R410A) units and that if I want one, I will have to buy a new furnace. They also say that Apollo Hydro Heat IS compatible with old (R22) A/C units.

Have they got it right? Or it just a matter of finding the right refrigerant metering device?

Anyone know what type of refrigerant metering device is used in the Apollo Hydro Heat system? Is it a hydrostatic expansion valve? Is it compatible with R410A refrigerant and high efficiency (and quiet) condensers?

Thanks!

First off, I am not familiar with the Apollo systems but you cannot mix old systems (R22) with new systems (R410a) The refrigerants and the oil are not compatible.

And I think you mean "thermostatic expansion valve" not hydrostatic. The metering device is different but that is not the issue with incompatibility. You either need an R22 system or total replacement.

The issue here has nothing to do with the fact that it's an Apollo system.

Apparently, your existing heating system includes an R-22 evaporator coil that was never used. As Marc said, that coil wasn't designed to work with R410A because of the higher pressure.

You could replace the old evaporator coil with a new R-410a coil and the system could be made to work, but it would be kind of silly. For one thing, the 24-year old Apollo system could crap out at any time, leaving you with an expensive mess to fix. For another, newer R410a AC systems often achieve their efficiency ratings by matching a variable speed blower with the system - something you can't do with your old Apollo system.

The problem isn't incompatibility with Apollo, it's incompatibility with anything that old.

On the other hand, if you just want to get some AC without spending a lot, and if you don't care about getting the system to work as efficiently as possible, then keep shopping around. You'll eventually find someone who can hitch up a R-410a wagon to your old Apollo mule. It won't be pretty or efficient, but it'll work.