Lamorite Roof

Steven Hockstein

Sorry, slow to take interest. I didn't know what Lamorite is/was....

Yes, I've seen a few DaVinci slates. Both brand new. Look like slate from the ground, kinda look like slate up close. They look like they'd hold up; it's a decent system.

Since they were both brand new, I have no idea about longevity. They're both about 7 years old now, still look OK.

I did an inspection of a house that had this stuff and it was brittle and had begun to fall off of the roof. I was worse where exposed to direct sunlight. I recommended a complete replacement (high end house and they had the money!)

This was a bank owned property and therefore no history, dates were available but I'm thinking it was less than 15 years old.

Ouch. Proves numbers can go all over the map.

Depends on what slate, who's doing it, underlayment, and all that other stuff you already know about.

It might be that my local guys are simply bumping up the plastic cost to push folks into going real slate.

For me, it's an aesthetic issue. I hate impropriety. Plastic fake slate is somewhere close, or possibly right at, the nadir of impropriety. Right down there with the peel and stick stone siding and vinyl window shutters.

I'd rather see pole barn roofing instead of plastic slate. At least it's honest.

In reading up on this topic, a questions comes up:

Is composite another word for plastic?

Marc

No. I think of a composite as a combination of different material types to provide a desired design result. Think fiberglass and resin for boats and car bodies. Carbon fiber and resin for aircraft wings. Cement fiber siding is a composite of cement and wood fiber. Shingles are a composite of asphalt and fiberglass or whatever.

Ouch. Proves numbers can go all over the map.

Depends on what slate, who's doing it, underlayment, and all that other stuff you already know about.

It might be that my local guys are simply bumping up the plastic cost to push folks into going real slate.

For me, it's an aesthetic issue. I hate impropriety. Plastic fake slate is somewhere close, or possibly right at, the nadir of impropriety. Right down there with the peel and stick stone siding and vinyl window shutters.

I'd rather see pole barn roofing instead of plastic slate. At least it's honest.

I agree but the roof is about 100 squares. The difference is real money.

I watched an installation video about the Davinci system (on Youtube). I am not a fan of the way the ends are detailed.

Yeah, that's real dough. Woof....

The DaVinci system leaves things to be desired. The end detail is inelegant. If you know slate, you can glance at the stuff and know it's fake.

Like I said, it looks OK from far away, get up close and it's sorta OK but you know it's milk jugs and the details aren't slate roof details.