panel screws

John Dirks Jr

I write up improper panel screws all the time. Here is the first case that I found out why. Incidentally, this panel had been installed flush with the studs and then the drywall was installed after the fact creating the excessive setback. That's why the proper screws which were too short as a result would not work.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015126224947_P1050671.jpg

52.94 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015126225025_P1050669.jpg

32.42 KB

• 1 month later...

After now over 20 yrs, I believe taking the cover off a panel is probably the most dangerous thing we do (besides some roof-mount work).. I've had one screw on a brand-new house vaporize right in front of me because it bit into the insulated jacket of a circuit completely as I backed it out.

It's really a good idea to wear goggles when taking the cover off. I've seen some pretty bad ''almosts" .. :)

Am I the only one who carries a bag of spare panel cover screws? Haven't written up sharp screws in the last few decades.

What if there is damaged conductor insulation as a result of improper screws. Are you fully confident you catch all of that? How about when the screw hole is reamed and won't accept the screw that is designed for the particular panel? What do you do then?

Am I the only one who carries a bag of spare panel cover screws? Haven't written up sharp screws in the last few decades.

What if there is damaged conductor insulation as a result of improper screws. Are you fully confident you catch all of that? How about when the screw hole is reamed and won't accept the screw that is designed for the particular panel? What do you do then?

If there's a damaged conductor, then there's a damaged conductor and I report that. I'm 100% confident that I catch those - isn't looking for damaged conductors near the screw holes one of the most basic things that you look for when you open a panel, even when the screws aren't sharp? It's probably the first thing I look for.

If the screw hole is damaged, then I report that. But most of the time, the proper screw threads itself in there just fine.

Carrying spare screws doesn't solve all of the problems associated with sharp screws, but it saves me from putting the sharp screws back in and it saves me from reporting them.

I report improper screws. I carry replacements and will replace one or two in a panel if missing or wrong.

I am not replacing all of them. Gotta draw the line somewhere. $3 for 6 screws at the big box store gets expensive. I carry both the coarse and fine thread screws. Will pickup loose extra screws in the bottom of panels to share at the next inspection.