Phase Saver on Meter

Mike Lamb

This device was attached to an outside electric meter. It is marked as a 1:2 phase saver. I googled the local utility company but did not come up with anything. I am a little familiar with phase savers that supposedly adjust harmonics for more efficient electrical use but have never seen this on a residential property before.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201512715445_021%20pahase%20saver.jpg

54.75 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20151271553_028%20comed.jpg

32.5 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201512715538_026.jpg

52.77 KB

It's basically a temporary power supply.

That house must have lost one leg of its service, so it was only getting 120-volts. This thing connects to the service and temporarily restores 120/240v service. Somewhere on there, it should show a limitation as to how much power it can provide. You usually can't run everything in the house from one of these things.

It's basically a temporary power supply.

That house must have lost one leg of its service, so it was only getting 120-volts. This thing connects to the service and temporarily restores 120/240v service. Somewhere on there, it should show a limitation as to how much power it can provide. You usually can't run everything in the house from one of these things.

Sounds like an autotransformer. It would do exactly what Jim says. It explains the '1:2' designation on the label - it transforms 120 V into 240 V while making the 120 still available. It mimics 120/240 service. If that's it, I'd imagine that the box is quite heavy.

Marc