How Dangerous is Radiation?

kurt

Many years ago I inspected a house in Western NJ and the radon level was a few hundred pCi/L. I don't remember the exact level but I was shocked at how high it was. There was a very old couple living in the house in this rural area and they were as healthy as you would want to be at their age. They both smoked cigarettes like chimneys. To this day I am convinced that they both had lung cancer and that the natural radiation treatments were working.

The radon action level of 4.0 pCi/l is not a health based threshold; it is more of a skill / equipment / knowhow threshold. The general idea is the less radiation we are exposed to the better. The 4.0 was chosen as the level at which a mitigation system could achieve a significantly lower level of radon inside the home.

Many years ago I inspected a house in Western NJ and the radon level was a few hundred pCi/L. I don't remember the exact level but I was shocked at how high it was. There was a very old couple living in the house in this rural area and they were as healthy as you would want to be at their age. They both smoked cigarettes like chimneys. To this day I am convinced that they both had lung cancer and that the natural radiation treatments were working.

Just a thought... If I have high levels of radon in my home, can I go ahead and remove the asbestos tiles in the basement myself? (Insert chuckle here)

The radon action level of 4.0 pCi/l is not a health based threshold; it is more of a skill / equipment / knowhow threshold. The general idea is the less radiation we are exposed to the better. The 4.0 was chosen as the level at which a mitigation system could achieve a significantly lower level of radon inside the home.

It started out that way. Now it's being touted as the "danger" threshold. The radon lady at the last ASHI conference was *absolutely* telling people that 4 pCi/l was a health based action level.