Relo Inspections

member deleted

Can't say I've heard of them myself. My first question for relo outfits is whether I have to use those crummy ERC forms of thiers ("something or other" Relocation Council) or will they take my normal report. I have to be really desperate for business to do the ERC forms. The next questions are how much it pays and how long it takes to get paid.

The upside with them is they won't call you back and bitch about all of the stuff you found. [:-thumbu]

Brian G.

"Relocate" Another $100 to That Fee & Maybe....

Originally posted by Tree

Forgive me...

What is a relocation inspection?

A relo inspection is done with you serving as a contractor to a company that serves the employee relocation industry. They are usually done to a format developed by the Employee Relocation Council (ERC). They dont pay much, but I find the reports are faster than the narrative reports that I use, there are no printing or mailing expenses and they do the marketing. They have been a life saver for me in the tough first year in this business. The experience is invaluable, I get a lot of Realtor exposure, and they have more than paid for my E&O and office expenses. I look forward to the day when I dont need them, but a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing.

Originally posted by Tim H

I look forward to the day when I dont need them, but a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing.

I heard you bro'. I didn't turn any down my first couple of years either. Some days I'd still take one if they called at the right time.

Brian G.

Selectively Selective [;)]

I provided input to the ERC during their developement of the ERC Home Inspection form. It was clear that they really don't want information, but rather they want to have a document indicating that the made an effort to discover defects.

Part of their strategy involves locating a blind newby to perform the work. They do this by not paying much.

Do the right thing and find other work.

Tom Corrigan

Tom,

I take exception to your post. I work for a relocation company (not the one mentioned above).

I do both 'relo' & 'destination end' inspections. I have to use a modified ERC form and I do a COMPLETE inspection. I report all items as I would if I was conducting my own inspection. I have seen some completed reports and they have pretty much all the information I have written. No bitching from the relo company that I provide too much information.

Now, it is my opinion that having new inspectors or conducting a half-assed inspection is dangerous because someone is following you and will find any problems you miss.

Yes, the pay is not on scale with my rates, but like stated above, it helps pay the bills.

I've got 2 kids in college, so I've got plenty of bills.

Darren

I believe that most of the HI software programs have the ERC form, I know that I have it with 3D. As for state regulations, you are doing a different type of inspection and you have been hired by company to provide the inspection. All of the licensed states that I am familiar with do not care if you do this type of inspection even if it does not meet the states requirements. If you are not comfortable doing an ERC type inspection I would suggest that you should contact the state agency that is over HI licensing in your state.

In my limited experience with relo inspections it seems the relo companies want the maximum info so they can force the seller's asking price down, but they want you to use the ERC forms because that's what they're system is set up for. I find the ERC's to be poorly organized and lacking in other respects. Plus my crummy old software doesn't have 'em, so I have to download & print, then write the stuff in by hand. I hate to send anything out hand-written.

Darren's right about someone coming behind you too. More often than not the eventual buyer's are gonna get there own.

Brian G.

Printing Looks Professional, Hand Writing Looks Hoakie [:-blindfo

Originally posted by Neal Lewis

What if you are doing a relo inspection for a buyer as part of their relo package(destination end). Down the road they have a claim and file a complaint with the licensing board. You have not done the inspection in accordance with the regs.

If you are doing an inspection for a buyer it should be to your state standards. A Destination HI, should not be any different than a normal home inspection. I do these type of inspections all of the time, for folks that are being transfered in. Their employer or relo company pays for the inspection, but they are not my client. The buyer is my client and writes me the check, they are then reimbursed by their employer or relo company.

Originally posted by Scottpat

Originally posted by Neal Lewis

What if you are doing a relo inspection for a buyer as part of their relo package(destination end). Down the road they have a claim and file a complaint with the licensing board. You have not done the inspection in accordance with the regs.

If you are doing an inspection for a buyer it should be to your state standards. A Destination HI, should not be any different than a normal home inspection. I do these type of inspections all of the time, for folks that are being transfered in. Their employer or relo company pays for the inspection, but they are not my client. The buyer is my client and writes me the check, they are then reimbursed by their employer or relo company.

Same here never been paid by a Relo Company for the inspection always paid buy buyer and do the inspection same as always. Never had a problem doing it that way.

Paul Burrell

Originally posted by Darren

Tom,

I take exception to your post. I work for a relocation company (not the one mentioned above).

I do both 'relo' & 'destination end' inspections. I have to use a modified ERC form and I do a COMPLETE inspection. I report all items as I would if I was conducting my own inspection. I have seen some completed reports and they have pretty much all the information I have written. No bitching from the relo company that I provide too much information.

Now, it is my opinion that having new inspectors or conducting a half-assed inspection is dangerous because someone is following you and will find any problems you miss.

Yes, the pay is not on scale with my rates, but like stated above, it helps pay the bills.

I've got 2 kids in college, so I've got plenty of bills.

Darren

Same here. I take no shortcuts and inspect to my state standards ( which were developed on ASHI standards). Item for item, the ERC or mod ERC format covers the standards of practice (it is my understanding that both ASHI and NAHI were involved in the developement of the ERC format). The relo companies that I have contracted with have never given ANY indication that they want anything but a thorough, professional inspection and have never qestioned my nit picking (I have done over 100 relos).

Tom, I AM doing the right thing. I am doing very good inspections that meet the applicable standards. If you feel there is some professional or ethical shortcommings in this system, why did you provide input? Personally, I stay away from things that smell funny to me. Of course they want newbies, they dont pay enough for inspectors who are fully booked. Being new does not mean being substandard. I am not the inspector that many on this forum are (that is why I lurk and learn), but I am a competent, ethical inspector who does not take shortcuts.

Originally posted by Tim H

I am a competent, ethical inspector who does not take shortcuts.

New or long-established, that's all most of us want for this profession. It's just the folks who claim to be competent and ethical, but aren't, who've earned our profession such a checkered reputation.

However, that's a discussion for another day and another thread. Keep up the good work.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

As I said before, and things may have changed,

I helped develop the original form. We at ASHI called the inspection a "partial inspection". The need for the form related to a change in the Texas laws that required some attempt at discovery of defects by the seller, or maybe it was California, it was many moons ago. Anyway, my company stopped doing the relo HI work. We continued to do the engineering inspections for the relo companys untill we caught one of them removing a paragraph from a stamped report. They supplied it to an end user who called us for the HI. Oh well, they paid the 28k rather than deal with the DAs office.

Maybe things have changed, my guess is not.

Tom Corrigan