Some interesting old details

The variegated coloration of the tile is what makes it, imho. The color is deep and with a hint of iridescence. The formulas for those glazes probably go back to Europe about 300-400 years.

I bet there's 1 1/2-2 tons of mortar bed in there.

I think it's pretty awesome. That tile is beautifully done. Tile window casing, cove base, detail trims, marble window stool, trim around the tub, and the floor...pretty nice. That's some nice layout work.

We tore one of those out several years ago, it was all beat up. With the tub, it was almost 3 1/2 tons of mud bed, tile, and iron. No wonder the floor is sloping.

I think it's pretty awesome. That tile is beautifully done. Tile window casing, cove base, detail trims, marble window stool, trim around the tub, and the floor...pretty nice. That's some nice layout work.

We tore one of those out several years ago, it was all beat up. With the tub, it was almost 3 1/2 tons of mud bed, tile, and iron. No wonder the floor is sloping.

The sloped floor is due to settlement. Over 6 inches at some areas. I inspected it 8 years ago also. Not much change.

A lot of the old joints sag like crazy. Put several tons of masonry inside a wood frame that's undersized and where plumbers have hacked it all up, and stuff sags.

It's nothing to fret about. The engineers get freaked, but I've yet to meet an engineer that understands old buildings.

A lot of the old joints sag like crazy. Put several tons of masonry inside a wood frame that's undersized and where plumbers have hacked it all up, and stuff sags.

It's nothing to fret about. The engineers get freaked, but I've yet to meet an engineer that understands old buildings.

Hay, I'm an engineer and I understand them. Of course, that is because I have performed about 10,000 home inspections.

Many of these old houses have stone walls-very heavy structures. In some areas they were built on fill. The foundation walls settle significantly, but the piers supporting the floor systems settle far less.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201657185819_P5049018%20(1024x683).jpg

45.14 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016571902_P5049029%20(1024x683).jpg

36.11 KB