Do NEST thermostats meet code as smoke alarms?

montana

The newer NEST thermostats claim to also act as smoke and CO detectors.

https://nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/meet-nest-protect/

Do NEST thermostats meet fire code requirements?

I tend to view them the same way as I think about security alarm systems that also act as smoke and fire detectors. They may work fine for a prior homeowner, but what if the next home buyer chooses not to pay the subscription fees and the system is inactive? I always felt you could not rely on alarm systems because they could be de-activated for any number of reasons, therefore standard smoke detectors should still be in installed. Does this logic carry with the NEST thermostat systems?

IRC 2012:

SECTION R314 SMOKE ALARMS

R314.1 Smoke detection and notification.

All smoke alarms shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 217 and installed in accordance with the provisions of this code and the household fire warning equipment provisions of NFPA 72.

R314.2 Smoke detection systems.

Household fire alarm systems installed in accordance with NFPA 72 that include smoke alarms, or a combination of smoke detector and audible notification device installed as required by this section for smoke alarms, shall be permitted. The household fire alarm system shall provide the same level of smoke detection and alarm as required by this section for smoke alarms. Where a household fire warning system is installed using a combination of smoke detector and audible notification device(s), it shall become a permanent fixture of the occupancy and owned by the homeowner. The system shall be monitored by an approved supervising station and be maintained in accordance with NFPA 72.

Nest makes several different products that can be integrated through their app but I can find no where that they claim that the thermostats are also smoke/co detectors. Seems that they claim that the smoke detectors (not the thermostat) meets all the federal requirements. It appears to be a regular stand alone smoke alarm that is just easier to hush in some modes and is a bit smarter. Too bad your link is dead, might have been interesting.

A smoke alarm mounted 5 foot above the floor instead of where the smoke is is not going to be very effective. For CO it would not matter the mounting height.

I would be careful saying that CO mounting height does not matter. There are plenty of sources that would argue that ceiling mounted CO detectors are vulnerable of NOT alarming if the CO is being generated from a heat source. Most professionals in the area tend to suggest installation on the upper third of a vertical wall, but I know that most installation manuals do not mention this.

There are plenty of sources that would argue that ceiling mounted CO detectors are vulnerable of NOT alarming if the CO is being generated from a heat source. . .

That defies common sense. It seems like CO generated from a heat source would tend to rise and trip the ceiling mounted alarm. What's the reasoning behind your statement?

There are plenty of sources that would argue that ceiling mounted CO detectors are vulnerable of NOT alarming if the CO is being generated from a heat source. . .

That defies common sense. It seems like CO generated from a heat source would tend to rise and trip the ceiling mounted alarm. What's the reasoning behind your statement?

I agree. The 'sources' likely ignored all indoor dynamics. No disrupting heat sources, no registers blowing, no one walking around.

Marc