Bubbling Paint, New Construction

Charles

Good morning.

I have a client that has a new home who is now starting to paint interior walls new paint colors.

Upon painting several rooms, bubbles have occurred.

It appears that the new paint activated the original builders paint at the joint compound on the drywall and bubbled/peeled due to improper preparation.

Beneath the paint bubbles the joint compound was/is dusty.

New home painters in production building here in Jacksonville typically spray the field and cut in with a brush; trim, casings, and ceilings. No primer is applied.

Does this appear to be a correct assumption?

How does the owner correct? Continue to paint, and skin coat the drywall with new joint compound, sand and prime, where bubbles appear? That's a lot of work. Any immediate solutions?

Thanks is advance.

Charles

Click to Enlarge
tn_20168185251_DSCN0685.jpg

16.56 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20168185324_DSCN0689.jpg

22.34 KB

Woof. Nothing immediate. It could be a one time deal and the reaction is over, or it can mean continued messing around and priming everything.

I'd have to test a bunch of areas with primer and paint to see what was going on. Incompatible paints can get complicated. Or not. Can't know without test areas or a very complete history of specific paints so I could go to my paint guy for advice.

I don't think there is going to be a quick solution. Surface prep is important and it looks like this is a prep issue. I don't believe skim coating will work. likely what is happening is the new paint is curing and that normal shrinkage is pulling the original paint film off wall (poorly prepared)

Are the paint problems mostly at areas where there is joint compound? If they did a lot of sanding and did not blow or wipe off the dust the original paint would have poor adhesion. I would look into some type of sealer or primer. It may or may not help. If not, sanding and cleaning. Yea-a lot of work.

I've had this exact same thing happen to me. Turns out it was a bad batch of joint compound. Wherever this compound was applied, the paint simply would not stick to it. It's almost like there was teflon in the compound. I finally resorted to skim coating the entire area with new joint compound.