Confused?!?!

robert1966

So my buddy just got a hot tub for his bay house in Bayou Vista (gulf coast near Galveston). He needs a 50 amp breaker ran to it for power. His main service disconnect is located outside and downstairs seeing how his house starts on the second level since he lives on the water. His main breaker panel is in his master bedroom though? Im curious if there is a stipulation that allows for it to be in a master bedroom if they are close enough to the water? Also his main service disconnect is only 50 feet from the hot tub instead of the main breaker being 300 ft after all the twists and turns. I know you aren't supposed to double lug the main supply technically, but couldn't he do it since it is his house? And I guess the only other option is to go up through the attic and out the side of the house and back down, or go down and have to remove sheetrock and drill through sole plate into the garage and out the garage wall.?? His whole downstairs is covered by the house obviously... and is concreted only a garage , kinda like the neighbor in the photo but more open.

Sorry should have taken more photos. tried to google map it to show you an idea and the house isn't even there yet lol

Click to Enlarge
20161114102254_Screen%20Shot%202016-11-13%20at%2010.50.37%20PM.png

2179.5 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20161114102338_IMG_8885.jpg

40.92 KB

There will be a practical solution, such as what you suggested, a 50 amp tap off the main disconnect. But a permit is required. There could be a fire hazard for example and insurance would be void if no permit. So, no, he can't just double-tap the main breaker without some serious consequences.

He should pay an electrician to pull the permit and then discuss the solution with the authority. Some places will allow a homeowner to obtain the permit, but it is all about communication with the local inspector. The authority will want an electrician involved in all likelihood because the home owner is inexperienced and it entails a 240 volt circuit, and may be in a flood zone.

Drilling through the wall is the usual way to go. There are water-tight fittings designed for this. There should be a disconnect installed by the hottub, and there needs to be a GFCI in there somewhere.

Is the service adequate for adding a 50 amp load? This is why he needs an electrician to have a look first.

Honestly that's a good question because I was thinking the same he has a 150 main service breaker out side, square d 40 slot box up stairs and it looked it up and couldn't find max amps because he has like 450 already in use (boat lift, underwater lights, etc. ) , but yeah I was just curious because I thought I read somewhere that in Texas the homeowner was allowed to make changes like that and it still be covered since it's his house. But yes, he's definitely going to have an electrician do it I was just curious! Basically run a 50 amp from breaker box to small sub panel by hot tub with 50 amp arc fault breaker.

So my buddy just got a hot tub for his bay house in Bayou Vista (gulf coast near Galveston). He needs a 50 amp breaker ran to it for power. His main service disconnect is located outside and downstairs seeing how his house starts on the second level since he lives on the water. His main breaker panel is in his master bedroom though? Im curious if there is a stipulation that allows for it to be in a master bedroom if they are close enough to the water? Also his main service disconnect is only 50 feet from the hot tub instead of the main breaker being 300 ft after all the twists and turns. I know you aren't supposed to double lug the main supply technically, but couldn't he do it since it is his house? And I guess the only other option is to go up through the attic and out the side of the house and back down, or go down and have to remove sheetrock and drill through sole plate into the garage and out the garage wall.?? His whole downstairs is covered by the house obviously... and is concreted only a garage , kinda like the neighbor in the photo but more open.

Sorry should have taken more photos. tried to google map it to show you an idea and the house isn't even there yet lol

Click to Enlarge

2179.5?KB

Click to Enlarge

40.92 KB

Perhaps try again in English this time?

You could install a gutter downstream of the main disconnect and get power from that with a new main panel (up to six are allowed) but where multiple main panels are installed, they must be grouped together, so that game plan is out.

I don't see how you can avoid running a new 4-wire feeder from main panel to a new sub-panel near the tub.

Marc

Click to Enlarge

2179.5?KB

Click to Enlarge

40.92 KB

Perhaps try again in English this time.

Try it again with a with a paragraph or two. Your post is, to be kind, difficult to read.

Whether he does it himself or not, it still has to be code compliant and double lugging off the main is not code compliant. There are many code compliant methods to accomplish this but the best and most simple answer is to get an electrician.

The panel in a bedroom is a not issue as long as it is accessible.

And yeah, what Katen said, very hard to read and understand your post.

Several of the issue's you appear to raise are non issues.

Your friend needs to get an electrician involved.

There are other issues like an equipotential grid you have not mentioned.

The double lug is a code issue , it does not matter who owns the house or does the work.

Well, yeah, but his whole downstairs is covered by the house obviously... and is concreted only a garage , kinda like the neighbor in the photo but more open.

I mean, you've got to take that into account, right?

The double lug is a code issue , it does not matter who owns the house or does the work.

Well, yeah, but his whole downstairs is covered by the house obviously... and is concreted only a garage , kinda like the neighbor in the photo but more open.

I fully agree, despite the Weather.

I fully agree, despite the Weather.

At least the thread title is appropriate.

Marc