Gas Service

kurt

Read the Electric Service response. I was making a joke.

They're running natural gas with no apparent pressure regulators with CPVC fittings and some kind of yellow stuff that I'd normally associate with buried service wrapped and snaked through solid masonry and stubbed out into rooms where the appliance connectors are makeshift hydraulic hose and radiator clamps. Protective bollard is the least of my concerns. Even the gas meters are plastic.

I spent a lot of time sniffing for gas leaks, and then I discovered they they barely put mercaptan in the gas...it barely smells. You can blast the gas and sort of smell it. A little bit. This is standard issue for rural China.

Of course, this is the building I'm staying in.

Surprisingly few bikes out here. Once the only form of transport not so long ago, they're now d?class?, only peasants have them and they're the most mangled rusted out re welded bollixed up messes you can imagine. You see youngsters in the city on bikes, fixed gear, mountain bikes, etc., just like here. The main form of transport for most is electric scooters or public transit. Car ownership is growing though. Everyone wants a car.

Surprisingly few bikes out here. Once the only form of transport not so long ago, they're now d?class?, only peasants have them and they're the most mangled rusted out re welded bollixed up messes you can imagine. You see youngsters in the city on bikes, fixed gear, mountain bikes, etc., just like here. The main form of transport for most is electric scooters or public transit. Car ownership is growing though. Everyone wants a car.

When I was in China back in 1990-1 the bikes on the roads were like huge schools of fish in the sea. The private car was very rare, but there were plenty of busses and trucks. I?m glad I visited before the major developments of the past 20 years. I?d still like to go, back, but would spend my time in the more rural areas.