More new construction bloopers

Not that I don't see this every day, but sometimes I just have to vent. This particular builder loves to talk about it's JD Power ratings, customer commitment, and all that other bull, but the findings I reported yesterday are not at all uncommon.

FWIW, this is a brand new home. It was never lived in, flipped by an investor, and was completed in Nov. 05'. My inspection was for the "flippee". I'm sure the investor never did a walk-thru, but this was the finished product delivered with the fine upstanding builder's stamp of approval:

-Broken Truss

-Two damaged Romex wires

-Heaving driveway

-Overcut hole in garage (firewall) ceiling for WH flue

-Exterior outlets not tied to GFCI's (and a few loose)

-Romex strung in the attic like it was spaghetti

-No "high-loop" for dishwasher drain

-Hot & Cold reversed at laundy sink

-Doorbell doesn't work

-Foyer light no power

-misc. stuck windows

A few incriminating pics

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif unsecured romex.jpg

161.47 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Heaving driveway.jpg

144.91 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Damaged Romex 1.jpg

144.1 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Damaged Romex 2.jpg

150.31 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Mangled truss.jpg

150.81 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Overcut flue hole.jpg

148.16 KB

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

Chris,

Pictures like that are NEVER going to get you any love from the builders, my friend.

Do you come across heaved driveways very often? I was surprised to see that photo. What causes that sort of thing to happen in balmy Arizona?

I see heaving slabs, driveways, walks, and patios ALL the time, mostly due to expansive soils.

As far as love from the builders, no worries! My wife starts my truck in the morning!

It's very common to find mildew on several joists and trusses that were left in the yard during construction. What recommendations do you guys generally make when you see this if the mildew is localized and limited to the truss or joist and not spread to the decking or subfloor.

Originally posted by Garcha

It's very common to find mildew on several joists and trusses that were left in the yard during construction. What recommendations do you guys generally make when you see this if the mildew is localized and limited to the truss or joist and not spread to the decking or subfloor.

You should not see "Fuzzy" lumber in an attic. Stained wood, IMO is not a big deal. Now with that said, every house is different just as every inspection is different.

I use what I call "My Child" rule. It is simple and concise. This is it; Would I let my child buy or move into this home with this condition? You can make it the "Grandma" rule or whatever works for you.

If a situation does not pass this "Rule", then I report it.

I can tell you from being a truss designer, some jobs get built and sit in the lumber yard for months at a time before shipping, then sit exposed at the site for who knows how long.

True story. Just yesterday I rebuilt a lot for the 2nd time. The builder keeps changing the model for the lot after he places the order. I have 2 whole houses sitting outside right now waiting for someone to want them. One is nearly 9 months old.

We use moisture meters. Trusses are stored outside, tarped, sitting on blocks spaced not greater than 10' to get off the ground. (or at least that's what is supposed to happen. If I go out there right now, that's probably not what I'll see.)

I used to be the lead designer for a major national supplier you all know, 2 numbers in the name, it was scary the stuff they sent out of those yards sometimes. If you have a chance to educate the frames on mold, take the opportunity.

Maybe they might refuse delivery or get some evaluation before installing the things. Though, that's a lot to ask with a crane sitting there charging him $150 and hour.