Sign in to follow this  
Darren

Condition of roof

Hello Darren.

Those look like older shingles but heavy duty, probably fiberglass reinforced?

I wouldn't have much to say about that moss and lichen, as it is common here. Sometimes people get moss removed and end up with damaged shingles from scrapers and power washers. Detergent or Sodium Bicarb (PSB ?) washing soda will kill that moss, but makes the roof slippery. A zinc strip sometimes works.

Are you getting negative feedback about your report?

Edited by John Kogel

I'd observe that you should never wait for a roof to leak before replacing it and that it's always better to replace a roof before it becomes unreliable, not after. I'd then opine that these shingles are standing at the threshold of unreliability and I'd advise the buyer to replace the shingles this year. 

John,

Not from my client, but the insurance company is requiring a complete roof replacement because of missing granular.

Here in Michigan a large portion of your insurance premium is based on age of the roof (condition).  that roof would not be insured.  Of course there are exceptions.  I would have written it as " .....at life expectancy.  Cleaning, spray sealing, etc is not recommended.  Does not meet HUD/FHA Standards. Replace. 

If reporting on these pics, I would say that the moss/algae growth will accelerate roof deterioration. But I determine wear on shrinkage of the shingle, curling, granule loss, etc., which seems minor in this case. This roof has a good life of another five years or so. Zinc strips really work and would likely kill all this moss stuff.