cracks from the windows to the floor, diagonally

macavoy

Disclaimer: Im not an inspector just curious about what you think.

1945 built house, cracks from all windows (at the corners) to the ground and ceiling, diagonally(interior). Doors and windows all stick a bit. I cannot see the foundation. There are no large evident cracks anywhere else. Is this typical of an older home or could it deteriote from here?? If it were you, would you call in a structural engineer?? Thx.

Settlement cracks, cause unknown. My guess is that it's a minimally framed assembly, i.e., light scantlings, inadequate blocking, minimal bracing & headers, etc.

It could be the foundation that's contributing to the settlement, but if you can't see it, we can't tell.

Is it an old timer post-war housing type house?

How long have you owned the home? Did these cracks just start showing up? What type of exterior? Any signs of movement/cracks on the exterior of the home at these areas?

If the floors are carpeted have you ever had the carpeting off to look at the slab? If not can you feel any uneven areas as you walk across the floor?

Have you ever tried to repair a crack only to find that it cracks again?

Arizona has expansive soil, doesn't it?

If so, slab on grade + expansive soil = heave & settlement cracks.

That's not structural engineering analysis, but it's a reasonable likely cause for cracks. This is beginning to sound like 20 questions; you should probably get an engineer in there.

Yeah,

I think Kurt is right. With the diagonal cracks and the doors sticking it definitely sounds like some settling or heaving.

That's post-tensioned slab territory down there. If the home were built on a non-post-tensioned slab you might see cracks in the slab and notice it more but with a PT slab maybe only see it in the walls.

An engineer makes more sense. Around here, if you brought in an inspector, most would call for an engineer in a circumstance like that anyway.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

In surprise they have expansive and collapsible soil, I would venture that we are dealing with the latter since we have gone 133 days with out rain.

1945 house, Not a PT slab.

Call Chris Pricket, he lives near there. Or contact me and I can stop by the next time I'm in the area.