AC leakage emergency shutoff switch

Mike Lamb

2 hours ago, Mike Lamb said:

I have never tested the emergency shutoff switch installed in the pan beneath the AC air handler/furnace until recently. I assume if you lift the float the system should shut down including the fan. The last two I checked the fan did not shut off.  Should everything shut down immediately?

P9100043AA.JPG

Only the outdoor section.

27 minutes ago, Bill Kibbel said:

How long did you engage the switch? Many newer systems have a fan-off delay.

Not long. A couple seconds. Both inspections happened to be Frigidaire 15+ years.

Marc, so if only the compressor shuts down I would need to stick something under the float and then go outside. ☹️

3 hours ago, Mike Lamb said:

Not long. A couple seconds. Both inspections happened to be Frigidaire 15+ years.

Marc, so if only the compressor shuts down I would need to stick something under the float and then go outside. ☹️

If you want to confirm that the float switch works, yes. If I wanted to check it, and the AC is already running, I'd just stick my screwdriver under the float (gently), come back later after I finish the attic inspection and touch the vapor refrigerant line (not too close to the evap coil) to see if it's still cold.  It should warm up when the outdoor section goes off. Pull the screwdriver out, give it 30 seconds and it should become cold again.

Edited by Marc
  • Like 1