Concrete and OSB mating

Jeff Remas

This is a brand new entry level home (250k) where a young couple will struggle to make payments for a good portion of the best years of their lives just to find out their dream home has turned into a nightmare.

There were numerous other envelope issues...

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 1ExtSteps1.JPG

508.01 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 3ExtSteps4.JPG

492.06 KB

There..that's much better

I wonder if the mold detectives will solve this one?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 3BExtSteps3.JPG

63.57 KB

Wow, they're so close yet so far.

All they needed was a moisture barrier between concrete and wood and it would've been pretty decent. Here, they usually completely install all siding and trim and then pour right against those components. I guess its the same defect; wood-concrete contact, whether its OSB or siding.

At least in your photos, there seemed to be a little foresight and planning whereas the concrete guys game in before the siding. Here, there doesn't seem to be any planning. The siders just finish it all up and then concrete porches are poured. Its just a matter of efficiency which translates to cheaper.

Criminal - Is what I would call it

This kind of behavior victimizes innocent home owners and their children who will suffer future unexpected health and financial expenses.

The other concern is the financial impact on our society as banks are forced to reclaim their property when homeowners find themself abandoning their unhabitable homes.

There was one incidence here whereby the mold in the home was so advanced that it was eventually moved off its foundation and burned.

It would seem that we have perpetuated a new industry. At great expense, we train people, we train dogs and we build specialized instrumentation and tools to detect the stuff while the simple solution is ignored.

At the Big O store yesterday, I tripped over a rather large pallet of gallon sized bottles of mold remedy stuff. In fact there was two large pallets strategically located around the store along with individual gallon jugs in the cleaning aisle.

I guess all that remains is to call in the helicopters.

Interesting thought

They'll throw you in jail for smoking burlap but overlook criminal contractors and builders.

Will this nonsense ever end?

Mr. Stuccoman,

Your enthusiasm and wonderful photos are greatly appreciated but what home inspectors need is a well-written guide or checklist for how to quickly and efficiently inspect a stucco install that is already in place. Lambasting poor installations is a good way to vent but it doesn't go very far in advancing our knowledge. We need to be able to spot the hidden defects that improper installations such as you point out can cause. How does one go about doing that? What tools are needed? What are the tell-tales? etc.

How about writing an article on the subject for TIJ? You can submit it above on the blue menu bar where it says "submissions." Make sure it is written from an inspectors standpoint - not an installers - and be sure to include your bio along with contact information. Once you submit it I'll receive it and then will work with you to clean it up and it will eventually be published on TIJ as an article.

Let's try and be part of the solution.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

You mean like this one!

http://www.badstucco.com/1coat/1COAT.htm

It is in the same subdivision as most of the ones in my last post. And most were done by the same crew!

I guess when they sell that one they can advertise the stucco has been caulked!

And that just irritates me to no end!

If I were to write something astm would not like it!

I do not agree with them on a few issues!

Originally posted by stuccoman

If I were to write something astm would not like it!

I do not agree with them on a few issues!

That shouldn't be a problem. Just note where you differ with them and why, present your case to the collective TIJ jury. We can decide for ourselves from there.

Brian G.

Nobody ASTM Anyway [:-slaphap

Like in these pictures of a friends house it all looks normal for most people!! When I told him what I thought might be there he was shocked and it was worse for him when I showed him.

http://www.badstucco.com/repair2.html Imo Windows with trim around them need 3 peices of flashing on them and proper lapping of the moisture barriers! http://www.badstucco.com/properflash/properflash.html In these photos you will find 3 peices of flashing! 1. On top of the trim. 2.At the head of the window.3.Under the nail fin at the bottom to kick the water out over the cladding that just happens to be stucco! There is backer rod and sealant between the window and trim! There is flashing between the trim and stucco so the stucco is not touching the smart trim as per the smart trim specs! Not as to ASTM!

If they would put flashing under the windows when they have trim around them like this it would take care of a bunch of leaks and heartache for the homeowner!

Let alone all the moisture barriers that are installed wrong,like on this one where they do not have it under the trim up to the window!

IMO if you install tyvek to their specs you will trap water in the wall cavity. Ref; tapeing all the horizontal joints,and their flex sill wrap is a good product but installed to their specs it is reverse lapped at the sides of the window. It needs to be under the sides not over them! If tyvek works like they say by tapeing the joints and the reverse flashing at the sills it will trap the moisture in thats trying to get out of the structure.

I have been told by the reps in the KC metro not to violate there product to put it over flashing to tape the flashing back to the tyvek. IMO thats wrong! the tape will fail letting water behind the flashing! When you have a system that calls for 2 layers of moisture barrier such as stucco,the 2 layers need to be every where not just under the stucco.

When astm calls for a backer rod and sealant joint everywhere! I have issues with that also. For the most part at the head and under the sills of windows and doors! Where can the water get out thats inside the house?

I have a toll free # 1-888-830-2687