Another totally unneccesary purchase...

Anyone live live close to Edwardsville, Il and want to do me a favor? I'm considering bidding on this puppy on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Fal ... otohosting

My first REAL car was a 61' Falcon, and I've always had a soft spot for the rag top. I was originally looking for a 63', but this one seems to have gotten to me. I'm trying to find someone to be my eyes and ears to make sure that this is all the seller says it is. There's five days left on the bid.

Yeah, mine was a 60 Falcon, complete with 3/4 of the front floor boards missing. Wasn't much fun when you hit deep snow drifts and the entire inside turned into whiteout conditions. Had a little six cylinder, 170 I think with a three speed on the column. Had a lot of fun with it. $100 back around 1970.

Ahhhh.... Those were the days when all you needed was a timing light (or a good ear) a spark plug wrench, a feeler guage and a dwell meter and you could fine tune just about any vehicle.

I used to love rebuilding carburators too... Just like building a model. And, it was so easy to soup them up. (Re -jet them, cut secondary barrel linkage springs to make them kick in faster, etc. Cars were so easy then.

Originally posted by kurt

That's all the way down by St. Louis; too far for me.

You got money burning a hole in your pocket?

I got a little jingle! It may be mid-life crisis or and act of poor judgement, but it's something I've wanted for a long time and I figure "what the hell"? I'm fortunate enough to have a few bucks in the bank and boys need their toys!

Shame you're too far away, I'd trust your judgement.

My '63 white falcon came with it's own tool kit! rolled up under the hood in a vinyl pouch with instructions about changing oil, plugs, timing, adj belts etc. Didn't like the white exterior so traded even-up for a blue one and then had an Earl Schieb $69.00 paint job done to a shiny black. Black paint fell off after abt 6months so I painted it myself with a spray can to flat BBQ black and sold it for $600.

My first new car was a 1956 Mecury Montclair with white and shartruse paint with white and black pleated interior. I would take it out to the desert roads N/E of Los Angeles to air it out every now and then. That dang thing would run 125 to 130 mph depending on how it felt that day. It had a four barrel carb and when I put it on the floor I could hear it sucking air and gas. I later owned more powerful and faster cars but the Merc was my first love and I still have a picture of it.

A friend of mine bought a new 63 Falcon and he really liked it he drove it until the wheels fell off before he traded it.

Paul Burrell