Telescopic Ladders

slthomas

I have an "X-Tend & Climb" I bought on eBay. I've been happy with it, and they run about $100 less than a "Tele-Steps". I was cautious of mine for while, but these days I have a lot of confidence in it. Just make sure you have the steps out to the point where they lock and you're good to go.

Brian G.

Steppin' Up [^]

I've used my Tele-steps for almost 2 years now. I know I managed before without it but you would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands now. Best bang for the buck I have ever spent on a tool! I've never actually seen an X-tend & Climb but I understand they are almost as good...just operate a little differently I believe. I think you will be more than happy with either one.

I have an x-tend & climb; I use it daily & don't really like it too much. It's one of those things I'm kinda stupid about.

The problem is the little step locks; they don't always engage. You have to be very careful when telescoping the ladder to make sure they all lock.

Also, I used some wd-40 on mine and ended up w/the thing literally falling apart; seems these little plastic sleeves on the interior don't like wd-40. Thankfully, I got a new one on warranty.

Get a Tele-steps; a lot more money, but a lot more ladder. The only reason I keep my xtend & climb is that telescoping ladders are amazingly handy.

I have the x-tend & climb and I really like it. I do have one latch that doesn't always want to lock but I keep an eye on it. I almost oiled mine as well, but I didn't know if would damage it, so luckily I didn't after reading Kurt's response.

It is great for getting into attic access hatches in closets and very light. I've had some older folks say they would not use one because it looks dangerous but I haven't had any accidents, yet. I ordered mine from HomeDepot.com for approximately $175. They make a heavy duty model rated to 350 lbs I have the 250 lb rated model.

I have used a Telesteps for 2 1/2 years, great under-arm ladder! Never had a problem with the sections latching but I ALWAYS check. I lubricate with silicon spray (as recommended by Telesteps) on a small towel every month. Slick and easy. You can retract the whole ladder with two ring pulls. I bought the case and the ladder looks like new. Use old gloves on bottom for outside use.

Mike Keady

We started using Tele-step ladders in 1995 and paid $1050.00 each. Those units lasted for several years. They are made in Sweden and distributed by Dial Sales. We carry two sizes now; 12' & 14'. The new ones are not as good about positive latching. I have been on two wild rides with them during cold weather. One of the guys here breaks one every year while operating them during cold weather. DO NOT WD-40 them if you want clean hands.

Our favorite ladder is the 4way fold step ladder. Folds into a 6" sq and weight is abt 7lbs. Used mine for 12yrs now with no problem.

• 2 years later...