Blue/Green powder coming from a few outlets.

Terence McCann

I got a call from a friend, he said that when he pulls the cord out of the outlet, in his bathroom and bedroom, there is a bluish-green powder that is on the plug.

First thought is a loose neutral. I told him to pull the outlet covers and to look at where the wires attach to see if there is any signs of corrosion.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Terence McCann

I got a call from a friend, he said that when he pulls the cord out of the outlet, in his bathroom and bedroom, there is a bluish-green powder that is on the plug.

First thought is a loose neutral. I told him to pull the outlet covers and to look at where the wires attach to see if there is any signs of corrosion.

Any thoughts?

Tell the kids to stop putting toothpaste into the receptacles.

If it's not toothpaste, it's corrosion - possibly from a combination of shower mist and the deadly toxic fumes from shampoo, conditioner, perfume, etc, etc.

I'd just switch out the receptacles.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

During my Blower Door useage years, I found nearly 90% of electrical outlets and switches to have drafts or vacumns. Bathroom outlets will "suck your socks off" when the fan runs, then go to negative pressure when the fan is off, usually right after using the hair spray - yer done, flip the switch and leave. Or, if you are like my sainted Mother, you spray everything with Lysol.

Either way, I think it is likely a dirty receptacle and worth the

$3.00 to change it.