I wasn't sure about this one . . .

Bain

. . . so I told my customer I would check with some experts and get back in touch. Umm, that'd be youse guys.

What about the brick on the outer, sloped edges of the triangular windows? It looks to me like the windows are supporting the weight of the bricks and that there should have been lintels installed. I realize the physics of why lintels aren't necessary around palladian windows, but couldn't relate the same process to these straight lines. What do you think? New house just so's you know. No sign of movement within the interior walls, and no cracks within the mortar joints of the affected bricks.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSC05674a.jpg

242.77 KB

Mason is a very kind term for the average bricklayer around here. Due to the surfeit of non-national workers available, you have hordes of bodies on scaffolding slapping up bricks by the fistful. Most actually have little idea of what they're doing.

I just wasn't certain if there was some sort of

time-tested technique in use in the photo that I wasn't aware of. Some sort of, "Well, but of course you don't need lintels because . . . "

Originally posted by Bain

. . . What about the brick on the outer, sloped edges of the triangular windows?

It looks like hell. Must have been designed by a committee. Brick always looks terrible when it's laid in little thin strings.

And what about the different heights of the adjacent door & window lintels with their little cut-up bits of brick?

That house is so ugly. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .it should have a sign in the yard that says "Beware of Dog."

It looks to me like the windows are supporting the weight of the bricks and that there should have been lintels installed. I realize the physics of why lintels aren't necessary around palladian windows, but couldn't relate the same process to these straight lines. What do you think?

I think you're over thinking it. The installers were idiots and screwed it up royally.

New house just so's you know. No sign of movement within the interior walls, and no cracks within the mortar joints of the affected bricks.

Give it time.

The last house I saw with a brick detail like that one had bricks falling off of it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks for the affirmation. I do tend to overthink 'cause it's sometimes difficult to imagine how tradespeople--and that's a euphemism--could be so irresponsible. Bill, I can't imagine the bricklayers took the time and trouble to install the veneer per your diagram, simply because the rest of the work was so sloppy, as Jim noted. As an oh-by-the-way, there was mortar splashed all over the windows, and on the roof, as well.

Originally posted by kurt

The building code should have something that prohibits ugly butt buildings......

I definitely agree with that. In a perfect world you could call it 'Crimes Against Architecture" and start putting away the idiots who remuddle grand old homes into sheetmetal-sided tuna cans and builders and designers who create over-priced monstrosities that will only last a quarter of a century before someone finally needs to bulldoze them.

Not sure our opinion is going to account for much as regards this brick though. Have you tried to find a bricklayers' forum where you could ask the same question?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

500K house, too. I also noticed how ugly the brick was, but never know if that falls under the purview of what we do. I kept my mouth shut.

This house had a truckload of problems that went on and on. I called the buyer this morning and explained that the experts I consulted agreed with me that lintels have to be installed above the triangular windows. I hope the builder refuses and my people walk.

Thanks for the timely help.