Jump to content

Back flow prevention at exterior faucets

Chris Bernhardt

Recommended Posts

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

When were backflow prevention devices first required at exterior faucets?

I don't know. My oldest CABO is the 1983 edition. It says:

P2402 -- Connections. A connection shall not be made to a domestic water supply, or arrangement exist, in a manner which could pollute the water supply or provide a cross connection between the supply and a source of contamination unless there is provided and approved backflow prevention device.

In the following (1986) edition, they got more specific. After the above paragraph, they added two paragraphs to describe two types of backflow prevention devices: air gaps & vacuum breakers. Here's what they say about vacuum breakers:

P-2402.2.2 Vacuum Breakers. A vacuum breaker device is required at any water supply outlet with a hose connection or at outlets which could be submerged and are not protected by an air gap. Typical applications include hose bibb outlets and certain solar/storage tank installations.

Sometime (in the early 90s?) Oregon switched from CABO to IAPMO for the the plumbing section of the code. The IAPMO standards are, if anything, more strict than CABO.

So, I'd say that the requirement's been there for at least 23 years.

Does anyone write up older construction without them?

I don't, but I probably should.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...