Home Inspectors - Beware of Mold Lawsuits

Charles Dobbs

You seem like a good guy, but all this still has the appearance of a self-sustaining operation. Mold testing as perpetual motion machine, or something like that.

The folks writing the standards are often the folks w/the professional associations that also have the schools that "train" testers, so they can send in samples to the labs, that are associated w/the professional associations, who write the standards, so they can train testers.....etc., etc.

And, I don't really care what school you went to or how rigorous the training; that doesn't necessarily tell me anything. I want to know what the benefit is, and how "benefit" is quantified. Since there are still no agreed upon standards, nor means of determining health effects (if any), what's the benefit of testing before other building analysis is completed?

When the best minds in Building Science (Joe L., et al) all say testing is a largely, if not completely, pointless endeavor, why should I test?

Crap from my own hometown. One of the frat boy's mothers is an alleged mold expert, and she "discovered" the problem. A follow-up article contained a photo of her decked out in full haz-mat gear. $230,000.00 was the cost to rectify the problem according to the second article below.

Mold. Scary stuff

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/15645536.htm

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/ne ... 191643.htm

• 2 months later...

There are guidelines for mold evaluations. The IESO has a very specific sampling guidle for residences.

The AmIAQA has varied certifications culminating in the "CMC" Council certified Microbial Consultant and the "CIEC" Council certified Indoor Environmental Consultant. These certifications require 8 years of experience before they will let you take the exam. The exam is administered by the Scientific and Engineering Specialty Boards, the same board who certifies Industrial Hygenists.

The IAQA provides continuing education for the AmIAQA and IESO.

Check out IAQA.org

What is commonly mis-interpreted from the EPA or the CDC is that mold sampling is not recommended for home OWNERS. But what they leave out is the importance of mold evaluation for home BUYERS. Only a fool would want to buy a home with a mold problem, regardless of whether it being real or precieved. In either case it could signifcantly decrease the value of the home.

Consider the politics involved should the government actually say our homes are designed to promote the growth of mold and that mold is a health safety issue.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Home Inspectors who perform mold sampling are probably doing a disservice for their clients. Home Inspectos who make blanket statements regarding the mold industry should be more circumspect.

As for internet training from a "certified" trainer I would like to see some more significant credentials. This sounds like somemore "3 day wonders"

Brad Deal

20/20 Home Inspections

CMC, CIEC