Web sites

Chris Bernhardt

Even in a small, relatively unsophistocated market like mine a good website is becoming more and more important. The number of clients who find me just by searching the net is creeping up slowly, and meanwhile it's a great sales tool. Lots of people here don't want to "sold" when they call around for price & availability. For them I go very easy and suggest they check my website for more details about my inspections; virtually all ask for the web address.

Ala Mode has very good non-computer-geek software and support, but it isn't easy to look different than all of the other Ala Mode sites. The other thing is that they're constantly adding features I don't need and don't want, then using that as an excuse for trying to bump the price up. Their boilerplate is crappy, but so is everyone elses; you'll want to do your own no matter what. That's where you can set yourself apart from most of the competition.

Brian G.

Workin' the Web [^]

I am in the process of writing my own and will be running it on my own server I built a few weeks ago. For simple web pages you just need to learn HTML and if you want to get fancy with a similar look and feel throughout your site, which will be easy to change, then the use of Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a good way to go. If you are looking to add form processing then that is where it will get a little more tricky. You will need to learn Perl, PHP, ASP, JSP, Java, C++ or another one of the many server pages, scripting or programming languages out there.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Yahoo! as my host. It costs me around $15/mo. They have software that you can download for free and make a fairly impressive site. I haven't worked much on mine in a while but I think that it's decent for someone with no programming knowledge. I have several ideas on ways to improve it, just need the time to work on it.

www.irsindy.com

Tell me what you think.

Originally posted by robert1966

Hello All,

Brain, Good to see you on the Journal, I work in Texas, but was born and raised in Magee, MS.

What can we do about clicl fraud? It seems I'm in a very competitive market here and some people will go to any lengths to slow or stop your internet market.

Thanks,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Please don't call him Brain. He's too full of himself as it is. [:-slaphap

OT - OF!!!

M.

Hi Robert,

Please don't call him Brain. He's too full of himself as it is.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Ah, don't blame the boy. He's from Simpson County, Mississippi!

We just relocated from MS to TN. My family was one of the founding families of D'lo, MS. They then went on to develop Merit, MS!

Now does anyone know what D'lo means?

Above and beyond all else.

REGISTER YOUR OWN DOMAIN thru someone like www.namesecure.com or www.godaddy.com

Some companies will offer to register it for you, but they put it in THEIR name. Makes it hard to get control back.

ainspect comes to mind as the worst at it.

To register your name you don't need any programming, just search for what you want and buy it.

THEN you can transfer it to whatever server you site is on.

Originally posted by robert1966

Brian, Good to see you on the Journal, I work in Texas, but was born and raised in Magee, MS.

Welcome to TIJ Robert. Mississippi is well represented around these parts.

What can we do about clicl fraud?

Demostration of Ignorance #2,387...what is click fraud? Falsely ordering inspections online?

Brian G.

Larnin' Again [:-graduat

Woah,

It ain't dead. It just sleeps through the winter. Come spring the racing season starts back up. Nutin like gittin hit in the face with a little dirt while you choke down a burger and a pickle!

For all you less educated folk, it's a quater mile banked oval. After the hot laps to dry the track and the hot laps the 4 bangers come out. Sounds like a bunch of bees. The stock car race is followed by the super stock and the late models. Feels like a tornado as the late models drift by.

The roar is deafening. Most of the locals just leave with their ears ringing. In high school I too ascribed to the tradition. When I take the kids we all wear ear protection. To late to stop the perpetual ringing in my ears but I still want to get some use out of them.

It's a nice clean environment. There is a track much closer to town but the beer flows freely. Not quite what I want my kids to see as acceptable.

But my thoughts drift a bit.