Open junction boxes

Chris Bernhardt

Should we be writing these up for more than just the cover?

The majority that I see have no cover because it was either installed or monkeyed with by a handyman, homeowner or his buddy.

We can't touch them without a license in my State so its hard tell if the workmanship is satisfactory little alone if its to code.

Would you write them up for further eval by an electrician also?

Chris, Oregon

We can't touch them without a license in my State so its hard tell if the workmanship is satisfactory little alone if its to code.

[?] When they're open, I would think it's easier to evaluate what's inside, without touching them.

Okay, so they're not all this easy:

http://topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3866

I'm really curious about not touching a J-box w/out a license. Can you pull covers off of panels? Pull a suspect outlet's cover?

Without actually grabing hold of the individual wire nutted splices looking at them closer and then testing the connection by giving it an appropriate tug and twist to the wires and wire nut how do you know if you have a sound connection?

Sometimes them there wire nuts will fall right off.

When I said eval I met for the electician to check the connections and fix them. I guess I should have said that.

Chris, Oregon

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

Should we be writing these up for more than just the cover?

The majority that I see have no cover because it was either installed or monkeyed with by a handyman, homeowner or his buddy.

Would you write them up for further eval by an electrician also?

Chris, Oregon

From Wednesday's inspection:

Have an electrician repair the wiring mess in the attic and in the basement.

- Jim Katen, Oregon