Sum it all up...

fqp25

I'm still new in this business, and I have had people call me up from one source or another, and not really know exactly what they want, or what to expect. Usually 9 times out of 10 when the phone rings, I'm usually driving, stuffing something in my mouth, or just plain spacing out, and I can't get the perfect "first sentence" out to really explain my service..

So I ask all of you: If you could sum-up your service in one sentence, what would it be?

I couldn't do it in one sentence. I do a lot of stuff.

When I answer the phone, it's "Hello, this is Kurt, how can I help you?" That says enough for the first hit.

Giving good phone is not formulaic; you just have to run w/their questions, and do the best you can. When it's the folks w/the "10 Questions to Ask Your Home Inspector" that they saw in the Sunday paper, those can get hard, because they're coming into the conversation thinking they know more than you. If I can't get them off the stupid questions, I usually don't want them for a customer.

Frank,

I've never had to explain my services, so I don't have a sentence.

Sounds like you may have some anxiety issues. Relax, and stop stuffing your mouth.

If you can't explain your services, then you really don't understand them yourself. What experience/knowledge do you have? That's what you offer. But like I said, you shouldn't need to explain.

My typical daily conversation goes something like:

ring, ring,

"Ounce of Prevention, may I help you?"

(Client) "Yes, I'm buying a house and need..."

Now I grab a form I made for myself and start asking questions and filling in the blanks.

"When do you need the inspection?"

"What type of home?"

"How old is the home?"

"Is the home occupied?"

"Are utilities on?"

"Is there a well or septic?"

"Do you have any particular concerns about the home?"

Having everything planned in advance shows that I have done this before. It builds client confidence. It gets me off the phone quicker.

Originally posted by fqp25

I'm still new in this business, and I have had people call me up from one source or another, and not really know exactly what they want, or what to expect. Usually 9 times out of 10 when the phone rings, I'm usually driving, stuffing something in my mouth, or just plain spacing out, and I can't get the perfect "first sentence" out to really explain my service..

So I ask all of you: If you could sum-up your service in one sentence, what would it be?

Gary your right, I should cut back on stuffing my mouth (especially with my own feet). Anxiety - no, just find it hard to go when they sound unsure. Mark's explanation is kind of how I deal with it, but I always feel like saying some kind of cheesy sales slogan or something.

"Do you have a minute to hear how I run my business? ..." That's the kind of segue I've been thinking of.

I sometime ask "Have you used a home inspector before"? Regardless of what they answer I still give them some version of my little speach, I just start it differently. If they answer "no" I'll say "why don't I explain a little about what to expect" if the answer "yes" I'll say "then you already know that I'll....."

Frank,

I do same as Gary. I have an "appointment form" that is a "fill in the blanks" that gets the client talking about the property and I'm gleaning the data points I need to learn about their property.

I'm asking them questions I need answers to ... almost without them knowing what they are giving up. Finally I'm able to bang that data against my pricing chart and I'm prepared to to a final spin and offer them the price as well as a time/date to lock in their inspection.

It is a shift to move them from asking the 10 questions all inspectors should be asked as well as those who ask straight away: "How much do you charge for an inspection?"

One of my quick comments has been: "Oh, nothing more than a bar of gold bullion."

Always an adventure ... to say the least.

Frank,

I use Dr. Scholl's for mouthwash, so don't worry about that. Thanks to Mike and the great people who visit here, there is no problem with mutual respect.

Do whatever works for you. I've never scripted a conversation, the reason being that the other person often does not stick to the script and then I'm SOL. (BTW, that's segue.)

Since you care, you will be successful. We are all pulling for you.

Originally posted by fqp25

Gary your right, I should cut back on stuffing my mouth (especially with my own feet). Anxiety - no, just find it hard to go when they sound unsure. Mark's explanation is kind of how I deal with it, but I always feel like saying some kind of cheesy sales slogan or something.

"Do you have a minute to hear how I run my business? ..." That's the kind of segway I've been thinking of.

This is how I do it - ring ring ring "Ya" ----------- "how did you get this number?" ------------ "Is this a nice house, one story, 4/12' roof that I don't have to get up on?" ---------------- "Can you pay in cash?" ---------------- "I get done with my real job around 5pm and could do it then." ----------------- "Look, I have been in the CONSTRUCTION and inspection business for 25yrs and use a pre-printed three page form I bought from the back of a matchbook cover. Ya never heard of me because I am elite and only do this for friends". --------------- "Your agent knows me, I been doing her inspections for years and SHE told you to call me".---------------------- "Tell you what - I'll stop by there on my lunch period and then meet you after work and let you know if you should buy this house or not. OK?" ------------------ "Stop your whining and remember to bring cash".

Ah, the 'honest' approach. Works for me.

Originally posted by Les

This is how I do it - ring ring ring "Ya" ----------- "how did you get this number?" ------------ "Is this a nice house, one story, 4/12' roof that I don't have to get up on?" ---------------- "Can you pay in cash?" ---------------- "I get done with my real job around 5pm and could do it then." ----------------- "Look, I have been in the CONSTRUCTION and inspection business for 25yrs and use a pre-printed three page form I bought from the back of a matchbook cover. Ya never heard of me because I am elite and only do this for friends". --------------- "Your agent knows me, I been doing her inspections for years and SHE told you to call me".---------------------- "Tell you what - I'll stop by there on my lunch period and then meet you after work and let you know if you should buy this house or not. OK?" ------------------ "Stop your whining and remember to bring cash".

After I answer the phone " Hello, this is Scott how can I help you", and find out their needs I always ask the following;

"Tell me about the home"

"Do you have any special concerns or questions" (show that I'm concerned about them)

"Do you want a morning or afternoon inspection time" (this is the closing line)

I never bring price into the the conversation unless I'm asked, and most of the time I'm asked.

Hey Frank,

What Chad said is more important than you might think. Even on the phone, a smile will help you speak more confidently and friendly. Try it now - put on a big frown and try to say something positive. Just feels goofy!

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

I try to smile when I talk. I try to avoid swearing as well.

Yes very good advice.

Other phone etiquette; try to keep away from saying "ah"&"Um" in awkward pauses, and leave a phone number twice when leaving a message. I hate it when somebody leaves a callback number like; the area code real slow, the prefix even slower, then the last 4 digits super fast.

A recent television commercial pinpoints certain "Cell Phone" etiquette. I think they hit the nail on the head with some of them. Especially the long pauser.

• 2 weeks later...

Answer if you’re talking to a home buyer: We provide peace of mind for home buyers! Our goal is to conduct a comprehensive inspection on the home and provide you our inspection findings in a easy to understand format.

Answer if you’re talking to a Real Estate Agent: We conduct a comprehensive inspection and convey our findings in a way that doesn’t scare your client.

Carl

"I kin make a hole in the roof look like a skylight" "That hole in the heat exchanger isn't big enough to worry about right now"

I am just be sarcastic, for those that don't know me. However, I would fire an inspector that told an agent that they don't scare the buyer.