Mystery outlet

NewInspector

I have never seen anything like that before, but if I had to take a wild guess, I would plug a light into it and see what happens when the doorbell or the phone rings.

Or, blow smoke in it.

Could that knob be some type of volume or sesitivity control?

Thats really interesting. My guess is it houses the transformer for the nearby doorbell... Based in part on the vents in the cover.

Stevens guess is pretty good to, quite probable.

Definetly take the cover off and post another picture.

Giver your GF a nice strong cup of coffee, you'll have at least ten minutes to mess with it while he's in the can. [:-graduat

God, it's killin me. I just gotta see what's under there.

Well,

After studying it, here's my wild-ass-guess (WAG). I think it's an automatic alarm/lighting system and the knob adjusts the volume of the alarm. If there's a fire, it's supposed to wake the dead with its wail (the slots let the sound out) and it turns on a light that's supposed to be plugged into it, to guide folks through the smoke.

So, how's that for an imagination? If you think that's wild, you should have seen the pixies flying around in the bushes outside of my window a few minutes ago. [:-spin]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Just got a call from him, he wants me to come back on Monday AM to do some heavy lifting. I will remove the cover & take a pic. Might even get in the attic & see if tracing is possible. Funny, I thought this post was dead-in-the-water after the first couple of posts. Thx for all responses - til Monday PM.

"True! – nervous – very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why will you say that I am mad? The disease had sharpened my senses – not destroyed – not dulled them. Above all was the sense of hearing acute. I heard all things in the heaven and in the earth. I heard many things in hell. How, then, am I mad? Hearken! and observe how healthily – how calmly I can tell you the whole story."

Recognize the quote - anyone? One of my favorites, reminds me of my day today. Took a little stealth & diversion to get this pic - Jack Bower would be proud.

The outlet had a bulb. I plugged in a light, ringed the doorbell, nothing to report. The house had previously been lived in by an elderly man who had a hearing problem. I took a couple of pics, this was the only clear one in the batch. I have to go now - 24 is starting (season finale) - priorities.

RDH

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif MysteryOutlet.jpg

41.33 KB