4 Pole Breaker?

Brian G

I just ran into what looked like a 4 pole 220v breaker plugged into a normal, single phase panel. 4 singles factory built together, handle tie and all (ITE). It was a 30 amp that supposedly ran the AC condenser unit, which is a big mother with two fans. I can't remember ever seeing a breaker like that before...anybody know what I'm looking at here?

Brian G.

So These 4 Poles Walk Into a Bar.... [;)]

Theory is to add the amperage rating of each individual breaker together to achieve the higher rating of the component. Say you have a buss bar that is only rated for 50 amps per lug that the breaker plugs into, How would you get 60 amps? Split into two 30 amp breakers and tie the output and trip handles together and you have a system to deliver your 60 amp load. This is not a field upgrade, must be a listed component.

Originally posted by inspector57

Split into two 30 amp breakers and tie the output and trip handles together and you have a system to deliver your 60 amp load.

That sounds right for this situation. Thanks Jim.

This is not a field upgrade, must be a listed component.

Yeah, I can see that. Can you imagine how wimpy-crappy a field installed 4 pole handle tie would be?

Brian G.

The Tie That Wouldn't Bind Worth Squat [:-irked]

Hi Jim,

No, I'm familiar with all of the variations of quads, 1/2 size, wafer, etc. This was 4 standard single breakers factory built together into a 4 pole breaker. It was a first for me.

It's posted below (thanks Mike).

Brian G.

Always Something New in This Business [:-boggled

Image Insert:

2007629184535_4PoleBreaker.jpg

13.31 KB

Originally posted by Brian G.

[navy]Hi Jim,

No, I'm familiar with all of the variations of quads, 1/2 size, wafer, etc. This was 4 standard single breakers factory built together into a 4 pole breaker. It was a first for me.

It's posted below (thanks Mike).

Brian G.

Always Something New in This Business

I'll bet that what you've got there is four single pole breakers with a single bar to provide a simultanious disconnect. (As opposed to a common internal trip.)

Since the AC unit has two blowers, you want to be sure that the service tech can switch off all power to both motors at the same time. Two, two-pole breakers wouldn't have achieved that.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Since the AC unit has two blowers, you want to be sure that the service tech can switch off all power to both motors at the same time. Two, two-pole breakers wouldn't have achieved that.

Possibly, but wouldn't they normally just supply power from one double pole breaker and distribute it inside the unit to run the different parts?

A very unusual house, this one. It's the same one that had the 83 gallon/1973 water heater and a three-bowl kitchen sink with built-in stopper mechanisms on two bowls (like a bathroom sink).

Brian G.

At Least This Job Isn't Boring [:-alien]