I need recommendations for training materials. I know there is a great deal available free on line and I am looking at those via links found on this forum. I also like to have actual books on hand. I can carry these anywhere and anytime. So for a person aspiring to become an HI, what books do I need to read? I want to learn as much as I can before I get to my training classes.

John,

I am sure the forum folks will steer you in the right technical direction. I would like to steer you in another direction. Read things that help you develope a good inspector mindset. Try books like Witold Rybczynski "One Good Turn", "House" Tracy Kidder, most everything Jowers has written, anything by Henry Petroski, and last "Rules of Civility" Richard Brookhiser.

Doug Hanson writes a good electrical "novel" too! When you meet him, his writing takes on new meaning.

Electrical Inspection of Existing Dwellings by Douglas Hansen is almost universally recognized as the best book available on that particular subject. He knows a thing or two about college basketball as well, but no book on that yet. [:-basketb

Brian G.

Electrical Is Critical For HI's [:-magnify

Originally posted by AHI

I need recommendations for training materials. I know there is a great deal available free on line and I am looking at those via links found on this forum. I also like to have actual books on hand. I can carry these anywhere and anytime. So for a person aspiring to become an HI, what books do I need to read? I want to learn as much as I can before I get to my training classes.

Everything Les said, and other such books that will go beyond the brick and mortar. If you're going to look at any pre-1950 houses, anything Old-House Journal published in the 80s, particularly their Yearbooks.

Subscribe to jlconline.com

Get the Taunton building books, the Journal of Light Construction books (there's a new "best practice" one), subscribe to Fine Homebuilding (excellent article by Harrison McCampbell in the latest one).

IRC books from 2000 to present; all Code Check books (featuring the wisdom of brother Hansen).

WJ