What causes this?

ctgo4it

This moss-like substance was covering most of the deck and parts of the roof. There happened to have been a light rain falling all day, so I don't know if the air is wet there usually (there was a pool in the backyard, don't know if it means anything)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Image Insert:

2007724101235_CIMG1869-600.jpg

32.88 KB

Image Insert:

2007724101431_CIMG1994-600.jpg

49.46 KB

Image Insert:

200772410152_CIMG1995-600.jpg

41.24 KB

The deck looks shot. The roof doesn't look all that bad.

I find lichen on roofing all the time. Heck, I've got lichen on my current roof; it's been there for about 10 years. I brush it off from time to time.

I'm not saying lichen is good, but it's mere presence doesn't necessarily indicate a roof that's about to die.

I've seen stuff like that growing on trees. I'm not a hornyculturist, but I remember being told that it is some type of disease that will spread to all the nearby trees. The only way to kill it is to remove the tree.

Is there anything that looks like this on the surrounding trees?

Honestly, I thought the roof was in decent condition. There was a pool in the backyard, but I don't think that creates the moisture to cause this (probably on the deck it did). This part of the roof was under trees though

Image Insert:

2007724162722_CIMG1985-400.jpg

19.7 KB

Image Insert:

2007724162929_CIMG1992-400.jpg

16.29 KB

Image Insert:

2007724163144_CIMG1990-400.jpg

17.52 KB

It's just a fungus. Get some moss kill, apply it to the roof on an overcast day, let it work and then rinse it off with a garden hose. If it's stubborn, use a soft-bristled brush along with the hose to work it loose.

It usually grows on organic material around here - even in bright sunlight. I almost never see it on a roof unless there's a lot of bird crap for it to eat. I don't see any bird crap there, so I don't know why it would be growing there.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It's not a disease that spreads and it's not a parasite. Lichen is a mutually dependent marriage of fungus & algae. It reproduces by spores that become airborne and attach to surfaces with the right texture for it to grab hold.

It doesn't feed on organic material or even roof coverings. It gets its food from natural airborne dust, rain and primarily, photosynthesis. It grows very, very slowly -- that's why I see it covering much more surface area on very old slate roofs. It only causes very minor damage to materials from its waste, that is slightly acidic, and it retains moisture. It doesn't really want to destroy its host.

To get rid of it, bring in some reindeer or caribou, that survive on it in extreme arctic climates. Any treatment that kills algae, fungus or other plants would probably do it in, but physically removing it would probably do more damage to an asphalt roof than leaving it.