Air compressor clearance

kurt

Been googling for a while, but maybe I'm dense....

I'm looking for simple installation requirements delineating distances between AC compressors and adjacent objects/walls/landscaping.

I'm looking @ a building that has 38 compressors crammed into a masonry "box" that's 22'x22'x7' (approx. 3400cf). I know it's wrong, I just need some numbers.

Any help?

Fron RUUD:

DIMENSIONS AND INSTALLATION CLEARANCES UNIT MODEL NUMBER EXPLANATION

– 036 J A S

S - RECIPROCATING COMPRESSOR

Z - SCROLL COMPRESSOR

AB

(VARIATION)

C

C - 208/230-3-60 (POWER SUPPLY)

D - 460-3-60

J - 208/230-1-60

Y - 575-3-60

BTUH x 1000 (NOMINAL CAPACITY)

MODEL SERIES

AIR DISCHARGE

ALLOW 60" [1524 mm] CLEARANCE

AIR INLETS

(LOUVERS)

ALLOW 12" [305 mm]

MIN. CLEARANCE

3 SIDES

24" [610 mm]

ACCESS

Originally posted by Terence McCann

What was the application for Kurt? Apartment/condo complex?

I would have liked to put a set of gauges on a few of those to see how high the head pressure was. That has go to be hot as hell in that space.

41 unit condo building. I'm working w/the HOA to figure out weird stuff w/the building, and this is one of the items.

It was hot; very hot. The developer had set up a cheap box fan in the access door to get some air into the AC area; I shut it off momentarily to see what would happen and the AC area temp spiked up to about 140degF. The discharge from one level of AC was run up and was sucked in by the intake of the AC units above; everything was roasting.

Originally posted by kurt

The discharge from one level of AC was run up and was sucked in by the intake of the AC units above; everything was roasting.

That's the main problem with that installation. Since relocation of the condensing units isn't practical/cost effective a ventilation system for that space should be explored. A supply fan at one side and exhaust at the other to remove the heat.

Originally posted by inspector57

That might be worth contacting the manufacturer to see what they have to say. Of course any warranty would be voided if they saw the install :)

But IMHO it is wrong.

Second that. Any space requirements they have surely are not based on it being surrounded by six other units on all sides blowing heat out and preventing any unit from pulling ambient temp. air.

I have a Frigidaire install manual .pdf I can post it if you want but here is the section your looking for.

Preferred Location of the Outdoor Unit at the

Job Site — Conduct a survey of the job site to

determine the optimum location for mounting

the outdoor unit. Overhead obstructions, {poorly

ventilated areas}, and areas subject to accumulation

of debris should be avoided. The outdoor

unit should be installed no closer than 18 inches

from the outside walls of the facility and in an

area free from overhead obstructions to {{ensure

unrestricted airflow through the outdoor unit}}.

Been googling for a while, but maybe I'm dense....

I'm looking for simple installation requirements delineating distances between AC compressors and adjacent objects/walls/landscaping.

I'm looking @ a building that has 38 compressors crammed into a masonry "box" that's 22'x22'x7' (approx. 3400cf). I know it's wrong, I just need some numbers.

Any help?

I doubt that any manufacturer would have created installation requirements in anticipation of this sort of job.

That's why we have mechanical engineers.

I'd tell the customer to hire a mechanical engineer to propose a solution.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

I doubt that any manufacturer would have created installation requirements in anticipation of this sort of job.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The discussion w/mechanical engineers has been going on for a few days now, and it would be humorous if it wasn't so messed up & and expensive to "correct".

The guys I work w/are looking @ it and going speechless.

Originally posted by Jim Katen

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The discussion w/mechanical engineers has been going on for a few days now, and it would be humorous if it wasn't so messed up & and expensive to "correct".

The guys I work w/are looking @ it and going speechless.

What solutions are they exploring Kurt?