GFCI Req's on Replacements

Chris Bernhardt

In Electrical Inspection of Existing Dwellings Doug says that when replacing outlets now required to be GFCI protected that they have to be GFCI protected and cites Art 210-7d2 but I see no corresponding requirement in the 2005 NEC which would appear to be under Art 210.8.

If one removes a receptacle for any reason in a location now required to be GFCI'd what article says it has to be replaced with or provided with GFCI protection?

Chris, Oregon

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

In Electrical Inspection of Existing Dwellings Doug says that when replacing outlets now required to be GFCI protected that they have to be GFCI protected and cites Art 210-7d2 but I see no corresponding requirement in the 2005 NEC which would appear to be under Art 210.8.

If one removes a receptacle for any reason in a location now required to be GFCI'd what article says it has to be replaced with or provided with GFCI protection?

Chris, Oregon

I'm pretty sure that they moved that requirement in the '02 edition. The new location is at 406.3(D).

- Jim Katen