Integrated waste lines

elgato

Originally posted by elgato

Is there any problem with this mixture? other than some documented problems with ABS..? And how do you know that it is ABS? the color??

PVC is white.

ABS is black.

The "documented problems" with ABS are an ancient concern. Don't worry about them in this instance.

The problem is that you aren't supposed to mix ABS and PVC piping in the same plumbing system. Also, there are no cements that are listed for use with ABS and PVC together in the same "system."

There is a product called transition cement. It's intended to join a PVC system to an ABS system.

However, in practical terms, the combination of ABS and PVC is relatively unimportant.

What's going on with the 3" sanitary tee where the black pipe joins it on the left?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

However, in practical terms, the combination of ABS and PVC is relatively unimportant.

I agree, but how do you report on it?

I bet you a plumber could do a fine job getting a good connection between ABS and PVC but the fact that they are mixed in this job most probably indicates a plumber didn't do the work and therefore some warning is needed.

Jim, how do you report on it?

Chris, Oregon

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

I agree, but how do you report on it?

I bet you a plumber could do a fine job getting a good connection between ABS and PVC but the fact that they are mixed in this job most probably indicates a plumber didn't do the work and therefore some warning is needed.

Jim, how do you report on it?

Chris, Oregon

If everything looks fine except for the fact that there are one or two fittings of a different plastic, I don't even mention it.

If it looks like the mess in the cat man's photo, I rip it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon