Stiff vinyl windows....?

Danny

Ok, so it seems that every house I inspect with vinyl windows...(including my own) has at least a few windows that don't slide very easily. I usually document that there are various stiff windows and I'm usually asked what causes this. My only conclusion is pretty un-scientific..... my initial thought is that there is more friction with the vinyl? My rememdy is usally only the bar of soap rub.? Anybody have more thoughts on this?

Hi,

Sometimes there's a lot of debris in the bottom of the casing tray under the snap-in insert that the window slides on. Sometimes it's because the framer didn't make the rough opening large enough or they tapped the wedges in too tight around the window casing when they leveled and plumbed it in the rough opening.

Something you should understand is that vinyl windows expand and contract at about twice the rate of aluminum, wood, or fiberglass windows. If they're installed in too tight a rough opening or someone's careless when using wedges, there's almost nothing that can be done to correct it afterward short of tearing into the wall. I've found homes that were several years old where the heat-welded corners of the vinyl windows had broken apart and the windows were very difficult for me to open.

It's hard to say and mostly impossible to figure out in the context of a home inspection. I don't generally write it up unless I find the corner joints broken apart or I think a kid won't be able to slide the window open in order to escape a fire.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It can be several things, but the most common that I have seen it that the windows have not been installed properly. The vinyl will flex and bend very easily so when the frames are set in the opening and shimmed if care is not taken the windows will bind or not open easily.

I agree with Randy on this one. Vinyl windows have a full perimeter flange and are rarely shimmed--at least around here. However, filling the gap around them with expanding foam is quite common. As flexible as cheaper vinyl frames are, even the "minimally" expanding foam is problematic. This is especially true if the flanges are not nailed in all the holes -- and they never are.