Sh*theel Agent Conceals Major Furnace Defects

hausdok

"Of further concern is the home inspector's failure to disclose major furnace problems. He may have been professionally negligent, depending on what conditions were visible at the time of the inspection. But this barely compares with the deliberate concealment by the Realtor."

At least he concedes it is depending on what conditions were visible at the time of the inspection. A HI’s visual inspection is surely not as through as a serviceman inspecting a unit. The fact that the unit performed for almost a year leads me to believe that it was not an immediately apparent problem. We also don't know if the agent did get someone else to keep it running for the sale.

If it was negligent on the part of the HI I don't advocate releasing him/her from liability but in this case it looks like more issues could be involved. A visual inspection and operating the heating plant with normal controls may not have revealed any concerns.

Rick Sabatino

Originally posted by hausdok

In this Mortgage 101 Barry Stone column, a consumer writes in to explain how, within a year of buying a home, a furnace burns out and a repairman called in reveals that he'd told the agent that the furnace needed to be replaced.

Read Barry's response here.

I'm more interested in how the warm air from a heating register can crack a cold piece of glass.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Paul N Frey

In reply to Jim - what would you bet that there is a little nick from a nail or some other object at the edge of the glass? Maybe set too tight in the frame?

If it were tempered glass, then yes, I'd suspect a nick.

But no matter what kind of glass it was, I can't imagine the heat from a furnace register causing it to crack.

- Jim Katen, Oregon