main supply material

John Dirks Jr

Originally posted by AHI

What do you call this main supply material? It's about 2" in diameter black plastic. Looks like it's a flexible type of some kind.

In my part of the world, we call it funny pipe. It's very common with well systems. It seems to work just fine as supply pipe, but I woudn't want to see it used as distribution piping.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 2 weeks later...

I usually call it black, blue, white, whatever plastic pipe. If they express an interest in knowing what specific type, and it's a new home and I can't see the roll marks and it's obviously not PVC or CPVC, I tell them to ask the builder. If it's a preexisting home and I don't know, I tell them that I and don't have any way, beyond excavation to try and find printing on the pipe, or taking a sample to a lab for testing - neither of which I'm allowed to do - to tell them what it is.

I've had a California couple walk away from a home with a plastic supply line because they'd read something someplace on the internet about how plastic pipe was supposed to be poisonous to people and to the environment. I just shrugged and asked them have they ever considered what most of the packaged foods we eat are packaged in?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I've had a California couple walk away from a home with a plastic supply line because they'd read something someplace on the internet about how plastic pipe was supposed to be poisonous to people and to the environment. I just shrugged and asked them have they ever considered what most of the packaged foods we eat are packaged in?

They were probably afraid of phthalates.