Business without ASHI

Originally posted by chrisprickett

Just for clarification: "Working" with Realtors and "Marketing" to Realtors, are two entirely different things.

I agree.

Brian, you say you have "no choice" but to market to Realtors. What does that mean? You always have a choice. You choose to market to Realtors.

By that I mean that in my market, they truly are the gatekeepers. The only way anyone can survive here is to either build a relationship with realtors or undertake a significant, long-term direct marketing campaign. I don't have the capital to launch, sustain, or wait-out such a campaign at this point. If I did, I would have options. If it weren't for the precious few honest ones, I'd have been out of business already.

Nothing wrong with that. But to market to Realtors yourself, and then question ASHI's motives, because you feel they are focusing on Realtors, that's inconsistent at best.

I understand what you're saying. The difference as I see it is that I feel ASHI does have a choice. They could have committed their efforts and resources to direct marketing or general promotion of the organization rather than further wooing the realtors. It's what I must do for now vs. what ASHI should be doing for the future.

Granted, it isn't all black and white. I just think we should recognise that what is in the best interests of ASHI will always be what is in the best interests of our clients, in the long run. I doubt if anyone here would argue that reinforcing the realtors position as the primary source of referrals is in the best interests of clients as a whole.

Brian G.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by chrisprickett

How many inspectors do you think ASHI would lose, if they came out with a "no marketing to Realtors" policy?

Tons. I wouldn't advocate that idea either. I'm also not convinced that laws are the answer, since ethical realtors would follow them while crooked ones would slip them at every opportunity. I'm in favor of not reinforcing them, not moving closer to them, etc., for now. I would like to see ASHI slowly, quietly moving towards the forefront of creating that educated buying public that many here have spoken of (Scott, Mike, Kurt, etc.). If anyone has the resources and influence to make a real difference in that direction, it is ASHI.

This is the same path a great many inspectors in my position have followed as individuals. You start out doing what you have to do. As time goes by you build a customer base and move towards independence. Eventually you don't need them at all, and there's nothing they can do about it. That's where I'm trying to go, and that's where I think ASHI should be trying to go.

Like I said, I don't see the stakeholder thing as mad rush by leadership to kiss the feet of realtors, just as a move in the wrong direction. It's correctable. Look at that word though...."Stakeholder"...does it not literally define the very conflict of interest we should be moving to educate the public about?

Brian G.

And Chris, I appreciate your diplomatic language and gesture in not just hauling off and calling me a hypocrite. Well done.

Stakeholders include:

The home owner

The home buyer

The real estate agents

The appraiser

The mortgage broker

The insurance agent

The closing attorney or escrow company

The title company

HUD/FHA on some homes

And I am sure several others that might become involved in the transaction at some point.

Those who will not get paid if the deal falls through include:

The real estate agents

The mortgage broker

The insurance agent

The closing attorney or escrow company

Those in a position to significantly influence the outcome include:

the real estate agents (home inspection gatekeeper)

the mortgage broker (appraisal gatekeeper)

Those we should concern ourselves with include:

the real estate agents

Brian G.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

That's just scary.

I've only done 8 inspections..if I worked like that I'd have collected only four checks. Getting paid 50% of the time just won't work for me.

Chad;

Are you telling us you are rapidly becoming known as a "deal killer"...tsk, tsk.

You don't have any realtor quotes on your web site saying "Chad works well with me"?

Let's see if you can top this, I once did 5 inspections for a guy before he finally settled on a house, the realtor he used told me flat out, 'Your killing me, I never worked so much before'

Keep up your good name

Darren

• 9 months later...

Some time ago I was asked to reinspect a house on which an ASHI inspector had missed $25,000.00 worth of damages. I never saw such a poor job. When the Washingtion State Department of Pest Complience investigated they Suspended the first time OK rule and suspended his lisence for a good long time. When all this was sent to ASHI and asked that he be suspended for an ethicks violation, they refused saying thath is not their policy. I feel that if ASHI does not enforce their ethicks rules they are a paper tigar and will soon be found out. I recently told a relocation compony that I was no longer ASHI if tht meant any thing. The owner said that yes you finaly got smart. I guit as a protest of their incompatence because without enforcement they are only branding a false immiage. My business is as good as ever.

Roy, it appears you re-inspected a house that was inspected by a person that was/is an ASHI member. I don't doubt the inspection was poorly done. But I think you are using a pretty broad brush and really do not know what HQ did, nor what the circumstances were. During the last 17+ years I have followed, and inspected for cause, hundreds of houses. All manner of inspectors and organizations. You know what? I have never heard a judge or attorney say ASHI is a "paper tiger". When introduced in court or deposition, ASHI is the only credential that has merit. Ironically, being an ASHI member has been a very strong factor if the subject inspector did not perform according to standards and code of ethics. It is pretty nice to have a judge admit you based on your ASHI membership and not so nice is you did not perform according to your stated standards and ethics.

Nothing personal, but do you really think you got it all on that house?

Hmmm,

Let's be realistic Roy, it was a 14-day suspension. I hardly think he was crushed. He can probably easily afford to take two weeks off to wait out a two-week suspension.

I talked to Dr. Soumi about this last year. He said that it was a pretty nasty crawl and was pretty wet, sloppy and close. Now, I can't presume to speak for the inspector, I've only spoken to the guy once in my life, but I'm guessing he might have taken one look and said to himself, "To hell with it, I'll take my chances," and he didn't go too deep. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do, 'cuz, hell, I've squeezed into places so tight I've gotten stuck, but given his age it's a reasonable hypothesis.

He's been in the business a whole lot longer than either of us and stays really busy. If he were performing lousy inspections day in and day out, all of us would have heard about it long ago and he would be out of business by now. Other than yourself and the other guy involved with this same house, I've never heard a bad word about him.

Be-that-as-it-may, he was suspended for 14 days. He screwed up. He admitted it. He paid for it and he may pay far more for it if the homeowner has her way. I don't see where that has anything to do with ASHI. I'm sure nobody in ASHI, any other association or any independent ever taught the guy to do that, and I doubt that anyone locally would have approved of what he did, so you're aiming that pistol in the wrong direction.

ASHI doesn't make the rules for pest inspections in this state and can't enforce them. Neither can any other professional association enforce local laws against any of their members. The state is the only legal enforcement authority. They took action according to their disciplinary matrix and it's now a dead issue. I'm told the inspector is a pretty smart cookie, so he's probably learned his lesson and won't ever take the easy way out again.

Don't you think it's time to let it go?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 10 months later...

Let me give you my $0.05 worth. I've owned my inspection business for going on 8 years now and never have belonged to any organization. In fact my number was unlisted until just 3 years ago and I got business cards for the first time just last year. I did some 270+ inspections last year and have found that no body cares. I contemplated joining ASHI once and then I attended a conference in Las Vegas and I have nothing good to say about ASHI. Imagine this during the course the President of ASHI at the time said and I quote:

"Houses are built by guys name Jose and Bubba, they sure in the hell don't know how to read much less how to put a house together and that is a good thing because it means that we can always find something wrong"

I wrote to ASHI about it and made a comment on the conference questionnaire and to this date there has not been any answer from anyone. As you can see it would be very difficult for me to ever justify a membership with ASHI. And yes my name is Jose.

Now do you know that less than 40% of all doctors belong to any medical association? It really is not a prerequisite to do your inspections, to be known and to be successful. We put too much emphasis on associations and in fact associations usually mean that the industry gets dumb down to meet as many people's wishes. Do your thing, be proud of each single inspection you do and give it your all and I will guarantee you that you will not need to be a member of any association.

And if you happen to be reading this you either have too much time in your hands or putting off something more important than reading all this stuff.

Originally posted by 2020

Imagine this during the course the President of ASHI at the time said and I quote:

"Houses are built by guys name Jose and Bubba, they sure in the hell don't know how to read much less how to put a house together and that is a good thing because it means that we can always find something wrong"

I can't say I blame you there. Ignorance and arrogance are often found in each others' company. It might be premature to judge such a large group based on the comments of one passing leader though.

We put too much emphasis on associations and in fact associations usually mean that the industry gets dumb down to meet as many people's wishes. Do your thing, be proud of each single inspection you do and give it your all and I will guarantee you that you will not need to be a member of any association.

Associations are good for some things that individuals cannot do in a meaningful way on thier own. Influencing legislation, creating standards and codes of ethics, and learning from one's peers, to name a few. Personally I've never joined any association on the basis of it putting business at my door, but more and more that seems to be a common theme.

And if you happen to be reading this you either have too much time in your hands or putting off something more important than reading all this stuff.

See what I mean about that ignorance and arrogance thing?

Brian G.

ASHI & ICC Member

Lets see, the last time ASHI had a conference in Vegas was about 6 years ago. This thread was about a year old so I guess many of us have little going on now. Over the years I have heard many "off color" comments at various conferences around the country, being PC is not easy for some. I guess it would have been better if he had said Latin American workers and Bubbas.

It is sad that Bubba and his sidekicks are responsible for many of the home building problems we find, but it is very common to have folks who are building houses and the can't read the plans or printed instructions. I guess this raises the question if Blue Prints should be printed in multiple languages and lithographs.