flashing too/ two

Chad Fabry

Originally posted by kurt

Lately, I've been breaking the law and violating the SOP of one or more perfeshinal home inspektor societies. I fix the screwed up places I inspect.

Don't you realize that automatically makes you an unethical sleaze-bag, sure to lie about problems to make more money? Tisk-tisk. [;)]

If I did that here I would be breaking the law, and risking my right to work in HI. [:-indiffe

Brian G.

Home Inspectors; The Uniquely Untrustworthy Profession? [:-boggled

One has to wait, and diddle around the silliness. Which, BTW, isn't hard, as one is dealing w/minions of the state who have a hard time finding their car in a parking lot, let alone someone doing a decent job remodeling a nice house.

Once someone owns the property, they can hire whoever they want to fix something. Since these things usually take about a year to get underway, there's really no violation of anything, other than a few small minded goofballs ideas.

I suppose we can let the good folks that want to do the right thing get lost in the maze finding someone competent to work on their home. That's nice and ethical, isn't it?

It's all gotten so silly. I got into this gig because I work on houses. Now, we have the guverment telling us we are not competent or allowed to work on houses.

It's a beautiful world.

Originally posted by kurt

Nice.

Lately, I've been breaking the law and violating the SOP of one or more perfeshinal home inspektor societies. I fix the screwed up places I inspect. No one else seems to know how.

Not a bad idea.

You've said it before, Kurt: every home inspector should build something to know how things work.

Maybe that conflict of interest rule should be reversed.

All home inspectors are required to fix whatever they find for the first year.

Really. Not a bad idea, but impossible.

I should clarify. I don't run around fixing things that I say are wrong. I'd go nuts, puke, and have to kill myself.

I work w/a couple highly competent tradesman and we do cool stuff on nice houses for folks that appreciate it, i.e., they pay what it takes to get the job done right.

Case in point. Steam shower, drywall, no vapor barrier, no subslope under the vinyl liner, basically a POS in an otherwise nice bathroom.

Who the heck do you call to construct a steam shower properly? Ghostbusters?

I think it's obscene that HI's, for the most part, have no experience in building stuff. I understand the SOP's and the State law stuff, and I suppose it's necessary to keep the sleaze factor minimized.

A couple of years ago at the end of an inspection as I was explaining problems to the buyer and what it would take to fix it, the realtor had a melt down and told the buyer that he had heard that I make up problems and then offer to fix them cheap, "to drum up extra business." I told him that was a lie which it was. It was a ugly. My client, a Chgo. cop thought it was funny and told me he knew the guy was a dick and to forget about it. I let it go.

Over a year later I run into the same real estate agent. I warned my client about him and sure enough he told them the same thing only not in front of me. Anyway, I had to get a lawyer to send this goof and the goof's broker a letter saying I was suing if they did not sign and return a cease and desist document which they did. Regardless, my reputation probably took a hit by the others he no doubt told this to. Chicago's Southwest side is a small place.

Anyway, I have never offered to do repairs and don't plan on it even though I am asked on every other job. I even have a statement in my report that I do not do repairs or recommend anyone to fix the stuff I find. I have too many dirtbag enemies.

I get the same crap.

Further clarification...... I don't do repairs or dipsquat "remodeling" stuff. I get asked every job "do you do the work?" I tell them no.

I only do real jobs by folks that want something cool, as part of a team of my friends that are highly skilled artisans. It's usually a year or so after the inspection gig, after they get frustrated talking to morons.

As far as the SW side being small, someday those lies will be some of your best marketing.

For the record, I wasn't hired to do a home inspection for this home. I was hired to diagnose the problem, document the failures and to effect repairs.

During the past the winter, I gave a series of presentations at historic societies and landmark societies and the client read about me in the news paper and figured I might be able to help.

Originally posted by Jim Katen

$5,000 fine in Oregon.

No problem. Just figure it into the job. [;)]

It doesn't matter much now, but when I was starting out I really could have used some of that work. It's a small market, and I was tagged a deal-killer before I had inspections in the double digits. NAHI recognizes that problem for the small market guys, and allows repairs with full disclosure (last I knew). Honest people can do honest business in any direction, though I also understand the urge to restrict the sleaze elements.

Brian G.

Perfect Answers Are Lacking [8]

Originally posted by Brian G

Originally posted by Jim Katen

$5,000 fine in Oregon.

No problem. Just figure it into the job. [;)]

It doesn't matter much now, but when I was starting out I really could have used some of that work. It's a small market, and I was tagged a deal-killer before I had inspections in the double digits. NAHI recognizes that problem for the small market guys, and allows repairs with full disclosure (last I knew). Honest people can do honest business in any direction, though I also understand the urge to restrict the sleaze elements.

Brian G.

Perfect Answers Are Lacking [8]

We're still watching you Brian.

Charlie Sessums

state sleeze police

Nice work Chad.

You don't have the finished chimney pictures up. I assume you used a two piece apron/counter flashing on the front of the chimney? And cut the shingles back from the chimney at the saddle to keep them from sitting in water and to reduce debris build up?

You don't have the finished chimney pictures up. I assume you used a two piece apron/counter flashing on the front of the chimney?

Yes

And cut the shingles back from the chimney at the saddle to keep them from sitting in water and to reduce debris build up?

I didn't cut the shingle back at the head flashing; it's bedded in urethane. I didn't consider debris, but I will next time. Thanks for the lesson.

Originally posted by Brian G

...Honest people can do honest business in any direction, though I also understand the urge to restrict the sleaze elements.

Yep, it's a shame that we need a code of ethics at all. The truth is that these "laws", just like the laws against robbery, child abuse, murder, etc, etc, have to be in place to disuade the pond slime that are inclined that way. And, of course, even with those laws these things still happen...constantly.

In my ideal world, on my perfect island, filled with only decent people, we have no need for any laws at all and get along just fine.