Digital Camera advice needed

Restart52

Hey guys I'm hoping to save some shopping (research) time by pickin your brains.

I'm curious as to what are good specs for a cam for the HI profession.

As to cost I would like it to be free[:P] but failing that the best bang for the buck as always.

I have seen some pics inserted here that must have certain software included to insert an arrow pointing to the area of concern (very handy indeed). That is something also that I would like to be able to do.

Any advise is greatly appreciated......thnx

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 is a great camera - I bought it at best buy along with a 3 warranty that will cover any damage except complete water submersion. I sure hope I don’t drop it off a roof when it is 2 ½ years old.

As far as the arrow goes that is added after the picture is added to the report. My report is written in MS Word so I just use the arrow on the drawing toolbar.

Sony Cybershot DSC-W55 about $180.00 bucks at Staples. You'll love the little orange beam (has something to do with autofocus but looks like an orange flashlight beam) that shoots out like a light to let you know where your aiming, especially in attics and crawl spaces. I use the VGA setting for home inspection pictures but it goes up to 7.2 megapixels.

Both fine cameras. The orange beam is the auto-focus aid.

The choice boils down to how much optical zoom you want/need. If you don't need more than 3x, get the cheapest tiniest camera there is, i.e., any tiny Canon. If you want 10x, get the Lumix. And, cheap. Get the cheapest damn thing you can find. Fancy cameras for HI work is silly.

I've got a Lumix, and I've done amazing things w/the 10x optical zoom, such as pulling in on an AC compressor rating plate 3 stories up, and actually been able to get the SN's. I've taken shots of blown lintels 10 stories up in super tight detail. For crawls, get a little Canon PowerShot.

Like Erby, I use the lowest pixel setting, lowest resolution for HI work. They all go in a .pdf, so resolution is simply not important. There's some folks that actually do stuff like import their HI photos into Photoshop for touchup, but I think that's nuts. Too much time. Learn how to take better images.

SnagIt is a really cool screen capture program where you can do the arrow and circle thing. If you print to Adobe (and who doesn't), there's arrow and circle tools in there that are real easy.

Another vote for the DMC-TZ series, I use a TZ1 bought refurb; refurb+3 year extended warranty is around the same price as the camera new with the manufacturer's warranty only. The biggest downside that the button which activates the menu is located right where were a right-handers thumb goes if you are trying to use the camera single handed. Mine has a folding sun-shield / LED protector I got for $5 at Radio Shack, fits and works perfectly.

Mileage varies on resolution and I shoot at high res - SD cards are cheap, and being able to get into Photoshop and bring up shadowed detail has occasionally proved quite valuable.

I also keep a Kodak dual-lens V570 in the bag, it's very handy for wide angel shots and it's tiny size is ideal for getting down floor registers, up above fireplace dampers and into cleanouts and the like and the wide-angle lens provides extreme depth of focus, as for example when trying to ID the material of this in-slab HVAC supply duct:

Image Insert:

200842561137_DuctA.jpg

89.85 KB

Image Insert:

200842561245_DuctB.jpg

93.07 KB

Whew

Thanks guys , you can't imagine how nice it is to cut through the quagmire of (hype) created when entering into a new industry (or trying to). Buy this get that?? You all know the deal.

So again thanks so much , I've noted all your recommendations and after my purchase there will be plenty left to buy you all a (refreshment of your choosing) shall we say.

I use a Canon power shot SD 30 ELPH. 10X zoom, 5.0 Mega Pixels, takes video and records voice, etc. All controls are very easy to use and is very small, I carry it in a holster on my belt. Had it in rain, sleet, snow (up to -35 without windchill) and it works beautifully. Came with very easy to use software and other gadgets. I would suggest this camera without reservation. If you go to Amazon.com you can find cameras of all varieties that are reasonably priced.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

I personally use a Fuji (can't remember the model right now) handheld with a 4x optical zoom and 8 megapixel resolution. Takes awesome pics and allows extra digital zoom for close-up shots of chimneys, etc. Since its small, its not bulky and it goes everywhere I go.

A few more things to look out for;

1. Don't get a camera that runs on generic (ie. AA) batteries, you will end up replacing them daily. I had 2 cameras like this.

2. Do get a camera that will accept generic memory, or spring for the really big card up front. My sony camera came with a 512mb "stick" that I had to dump daily. That was a few years ago, and memory prices have come way down so there isn't any reason to skimp.

3. Be prepared to spend some time with the software that comes with your camera, or just use windows picture/fax viewer. My Olympus camera had really easy to use software (because it didn't do much), the Sony software wasn't memorable (really, I can't remember it at all. What I do remember is that the pictures were very blue no matter what the settings were.), my JVC mini dv camera uses an expanded version of the olympus software (if only they expanded the usefulness). My last 2 cameras have been Kodak Easy Share LS 753's. They take nice pics and are very functional cameras, but they are a bit fragile (the first died from a 30" drop) and the software is a convoluted mess, and if you use the camera dock you cannot access the pictures (easily) without the software. Unfortunately, you can't test drive the software before you buy a camera, so read all the reviews you can find if you're prone to frustration from poorly written software.

Tom

I use a Canon Powershot A720 IS. It was well under $200, has decent zoom, I haven't broken it yet, and takes a common SD card. It does run on AA batteries - for me that was a must. It does go through the batteries pretty quick (use rechargeables) but if I forget to charge them up I can buy batteries at any gas station or corner store.

-Brad

Originally posted by Tom Raymond

1. Don't get a camera that runs on generic (ie. AA) batteries, you will end up replacing them daily. I had 2 cameras like this.

Tom

Sorry, but I disagree. Standard AA sized rechargeables are the best solution, allowing you to use an occasional disposable battery instead of a rechargeable. When the AA rechargeables die, it's easy to find replacements.

Of course, I would think we all use rechargeable batteries, not single use batteries.

Dom

Sorry, but I disagree. Standard AA sized rechargeables are the best solution, allowing you to use an occasional disposable battery instead of a rechargeable. When the AA rechargeables die, it's easy to find replacements.

I would not buy a camera without a good re-chargeable battery. My battery will last me for a week, and I have a back- up battery that I rotate. Can't say I have ever not had juice/ power (Kodak camera). I carry a power inverter in my truck and charge all of my gear on the fly, that way I can't forget anything. I just have never had good luck with AA batteries, but to each his own.

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

I would not buy a camera without a good re-chargeable battery. My battery will last me for a week, and I have a back- up battery that I rotate. Can't say I have ever not had juice/ power (Kodak camera). I carry a power inverter in my truck and charge all of my gear on the fly, that way I can't forget anything. I just have never had good luck with AA batteries, but to each his own.

Yes, I agree...I'm talking about rechargeable AA's. Last for days or hundreds of shots.