Information from a restoration company

qhinspect

This area had a flood Sept 13th, 2006. Then another heavy rain in August of 2007 which resulted in sewer backup. A person down the road has gotten a detailed estimate from a restoration company and there were a couple of questions he has that I could not answer. Even though he is planning on calling the company, I was wanting to know myself so I thought I would bring it up here.

On the page titled “Weight Roomâ€

That's a good question to ask the person that gave the estimate. If the person that typed the report doesn't understand construction, they may have misunderstood his instructions when preparing the paperwork. Have it corrected.

I usually end up preparing my own estimates and giving the secretary a copy to paste into the company computer.

I've also seen proposals written by contractors that do not have good writing skills either. Some are very confusing... sometimes on purpose.

Most homeowners do not have enough construction knowledge and end up not getting what they thought they were or paying for something they didn't plan on either.

Your friend is lucky to have you.

We also own a restoration company. We will only do line item narrative bids on any work we accept. Nearly 99% of other restoration companies use a cheap simple spreadsheet type software that is designed (my opinion) to confuse and complicate process. For instance: Dining room 12x14' with two windows will include drapes, light fixtures, two switches, four outlets etc. It will also include cubic foot or air space.

I make a few pennies looking at other folks estimates for people that don't understand it. When a large job goes south often the major insurance companies will have be review the intitial estimates.

As an inspector you likely understand ten times more than the average person!