CH breaker.. Double tap ok?

jodil

Originally posted by jodil

I am still not sure what I am looking for in the verbage on the CH label that willtell me if a double tap is ok... Here's the label. Can you tell me if its ok, and what I am looking for that says its ok?

Image Insert:

2008521145932_IMG_1211.jpg

184.52 KB

Jodi,

That breaker is not designed for two conductors.

If a breaker is designed for two conductors, it will say so on the label. The only ones I've seen are Square D Type QO. It will say 1 or 2. There will be pressure plates at the terminal that sandwich a conductor on either side, in a slot.

Tim

Originally posted by Tim H

Jodi,

If a breaker is designed for two conductors, it will say so on the label. The only ones I've seen are Square D Type QO. It will say 1 or 2. There will be pressure plates at the terminal that sandwich a conductor on either side, in a slot.

Tim

Gotta disagree with Tim here. For quite some time (maybe always), all Cutler Hammer type CH breakers, both single and double pole, up to 30-amps are listed by the manufacturer for one 8-14 AWG Al/Cu conductor or two 10-14 AWG Cu only conductors. It's not on that label in the photo. It's embossed on the side of the breaker. See photo.

Image Insert:

2008521175455_CH3.jpg

93.66 KB

Also see the Cutler-Hammer chart...

Image Insert:

2008521175722_CHbreakers.jpg

92.33 KB

Originally posted by Richard Moore

Originally posted by Tim H

Jodi,

Tim

Gotta disagree with Tim here. For quite some time (maybe always), all Cutler Hammer type CH breakers, both single and double pole, up to 30-amps are listed by the manufacturer for one 8-14 AWG Al/Cu conductor or two 10-14 AWG Cu only conductors. It's not on that label in the photo. It's embossed on the side of the breaker. See photo.

Not sure how long it's been but it's definitely not always. I have one here on my desk, 20amp. single pole that does not have that listing on the casing or label. The terminal is different then the one you have pictured, looks like the one Jodi has pictured where the wire goes under the screw head, therein lies the difference, the one Jodi has is not rated for two conductors. I know I've had this breaker for at least ten, maybe 15 years. Not sure when the change took place.