Debt Collection -- How do I get my money?

I did an inspection for a a father and daughter in Tacoma. The father is an immigrant and speaks little English, so I dealt with the daughter. After the inspection was complete they had trouble with financing and the deal died. In the meantime I had deposited the check from the daughter and it was returned NSF. I spoke with the daughter who told me her father was waiting for a return of some escrow money, after which there would be money in the account. The escrow money was returned, I re-deposited the check and it was returned as a stop payment.

I have a signed pre-inspection agreement. I have their inspection and their check, so it's obvious they owe me the money and that they realize they owe me. Is there any way to make them pay? Can I turn this over to a bill collector? Can I report to a credit agency? I can't put a lien on the house because they don't own one. What are my options. Anybody?

Maybe you should just file a criminal report or threaten them. I am not an expert on bill collection but I found this website:

http://www.njchapter13.com/lawguide/rep ... checks.asp

This is from the above site:

"Don't Write a Bad Check

Writing a bad check is a crime. You can also be charged a processing fee by your bank and this fee can be as much as $40.00. Your creditor can also sue you for passing a bad check. In addition to recovering the amount that is owed, the creditor can also recover damages. In New Jersey the damages for passing a bad check is $500.00."

Hi,

Take them to small claims court. The court will send them notice that they're being sued and give them the option of dealing with you through the municipality's dispute resolution service. Once you show the dispute resolution folks the documents and explain the situation to them, they'll explain to the client that the client has no choice, either pay up or risk going to small claims court and having to pay the fee and any additional court costs and lost time expenses you demand.

They'll pay.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Greetings,

Sad as it is...sometimes stuff happens. Build into your Budget a little Bad Debt. When someone refuses to pay, call them mail them...then visit in person. If they don't pay still...let it go. If you are charging enough and making money, you can handle the hiccup easier. Be careful not to spend too much time and energy on it. Focus on the hundreds of customers who love what you do and will pay.

Moving forward, do you take credit cards? For new customers, you might require a credit card number on file...if they don't pay at time of service you can charge their card.

Love, peace, $$$, freedom,

Ellen Rohr

www.barebonesbiz.com

Originally posted by Ellen Rohr

Greetings,

....When someone refuses to pay, call them mail them...then visit in person.

If they don't pay still...let it go. If you are charging enough and making money, you can handle the hiccup easier.....

Ellen Rohr

www.barebonesbiz.com

I disagree.

Passing a Bad Check (Insufficient Funds) constitutes Theft of Services and needs to be handled as such....

Originally posted by Ellen Rohr

Greetings,

Sad as it is...sometimes stuff happens. Build into your Budget a little Bad Debt. When someone refuses to pay, call them mail them...then visit in person. If they don't pay still...let it go. If you are charging enough and making money, you can handle the hiccup easier. Be careful not to spend too much time and energy on it. Focus on the hundreds of customers who love what you do and will pay.

Moving forward, do you take credit cards? For new customers, you might require a credit card number on file...if they don't pay at time of service you can charge their card.

Love, peace, $$$, freedom,

Ellen Rohr

www.barebonesbiz.com

Nice AD. What did it run you?

" If they don't pay still...let it go." Do you think this would work with Kennedy/Glazer? Guess not. I'd wager your credit card is on file with them

Originally posted by charlieb

Nice AD. What did it run you?

" If they don't pay still...let it go." Do you think this would work with Kennedy/Glazer? Guess not. I'd wager your credit card is on file with them

Nothing,

This is Ellen's Q & A forum. Doug asked her a question and she responded.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 6 years later...

Hey All

Just reading the thread here, I know alot inspectors here meet the client and have the contract signed at the curb and fee is paid in full by CC before the inspection is done..Asking around and seems to be common according the agents I have spoken to that way there is no issue..the CC or debit card is declined, no inspection is done.