deck posts

John Dirks Jr

Can anyone verify for me that there are different grades of 4x4's such as some that are intended for structural applications and some that are not.

Do you write up non structural posts when used as deck supports?

What do the proper markings look like? Can anyone post a picture of a marking on post material that indicates it's structural worthiness?

Originally posted by John Dirks Jr

Can anyone verify for me that there are different grades of 4x4's such as some that are intended for structural applications and some that are not.

The only thing I can think of that you might not be able to use is cedar. I haven't seen a 4x4 that wasn't treated, for sale in a lumber yard around here, for at least ten years. Can't imagine a yard keeping a 4x that you couldn't use, in their inventory.

I've been trying to figure that out too. What I think is that the common 4"x4" is rated as a post and not a beam. There might be two classifications: those that are not rated at all and those that are rated as a post.

Do you write up non structural posts when used as deck supports?

What are you considering is a non-structural post, something other than lumber? If it's a 4"x4" and it's plumb and not too long etc. I would think it would perform fine rated or unrated as a post support. The main problems I run into are: rot, too long and inadequately connected.

What do the proper markings look like? Can anyone post a picture of a marking on post material that indicates it's structural worthiness?

After stuff is built you'll almost never be able to see any markings. Instead, familarize yourself with the visual grading rules for lumber if you want to give the framing you're looking at a sanity check.

Also if your local community college offers it, take the engineering course for building inspectors.

I went so far as to purchase copies of ASTM D245, D2555 and D1990. My curiosity gets me sometimes.

Chris, Oregon