Filter question

jodil

Got a pet in the house?

The system might have sucked in some kind of organic material that the mold is feeding on. Then again, it might just be such an old filter that it's just feeding funk. I'd tell 'em to get the system commercially cleaned and sanitized and then install a new filter and replace the filter every 3 months thereafter.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

And that looks like the "downstream" side of the filter. What did the other side look like?

If the house had a crawl space, especially a damp one, with the return duct running through it, I would suspect a disconnected section. Or...some idiot installed a new range hood and vented it into the return?

What Mike said about about a good cleaning. It looks like month old bread I have sometimes found buried in the pantry.

Kurt has a good point,

I don't know about where you are, Lori, but A/C isn't used much here and the heating guys seem to ignore the evaporator coils when they service the furnaces. The first time I had an A/C system here, I slit the tape and opened up the A/C cabinet to inspect it and found it growing stuff that looked like a holloween beard all over a coil that was all clogged with years and years of pet hair, dander, Luck Charms, and everything else that got sucked into the system. There were service notations on the side of the furnace but it was pretty obvious that the evaporator had never been looked at.

Put a role of foil HVAC tape on your truck for those times when you run into these and need to remove the access cover to peek inside.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Kurt has a good point,

I don't know about where you are, Lori, but A/C isn't used much here and the heating guys seem to ignore the evaporator coils when they service the furnaces. The first time I had an A/C system here, I slit the tape and opened up the A/C cabinet to inspect it and found it growing stuff that looked like a holloween beard all over a coil that was all clogged with years and years of pet hair, dander, Luck Charms, and everything else that got sucked into the system. There were service notations on the side of the furnace but it was pretty obvious that the evaporator had never been looked at.

Put a role of foil HVAC tape on your truck for those times when you run into these and need to remove the access cover to peek inside.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Jodi, lots of times you can simply remove the filter on a heat pump to see the coil.

But if it's an A-coil on a gas furnace, it'll probably have a thin internal cover with a bunch of screws in it, so be ready to spend some time.

And if there's an easy method for completely removing the internal cover without putting a permanent crimp in it, I haven't figured it out.

On those where the coils is right next to the filter, I just slip my little old Sony Cybershot thru the filter slot and shoot a few pictures of the coil. Gives a good idea of it's condition.

Don't work for beans on an A-coil over a gas furnace though.

Too many realtors around here tell the seller to ensure that they change the filter because the inspector will look at it to see what condition it's in. I tend to ignore the filter and dig deeper.

Thought you would like to know the findings of this problem. The seller says she kept a humidifier next to the heat register (which was really the return) so the hot air would blow the moisture around...And she didnt think she needed to change the filter on a Geo Thermal system... LOL..woman! Oh wait, I am o[;)]ne