3 phase panels

Phillip

That data-plate's too fuzzy to read, but surely there's nothing in the house that requires three-phase power.

Is it possible the installation of a three-phase service was intended to supply more juice to the house than the 60- or 100-amp service that was typical for 1958?

Originally posted by Phillip

No shop on the grounds. It was installed for the heating and cooling systems. There are lumber mills close by. This may be why there is 3 phase to the home.

That's surprising since back in the 50's the houses didn't require that much power. No air conditioners, maybe one TV, no computers, printers, etc. It sounds like the house doesn't have electric water heater, stove and furnace.

I'm surprised nobody has switched completely over to single phase since then.

• 6 months later...

Three phase power is more economical for motors than single phase. I wish I had it for my A/C. Lots of homes in Albany, Ga have three phase for their A/Cs. Some are in single phase panels with a three phase style breaker which has an input for the third leg and outputs for all three phases. I put a label in these types of panels that this breaker and the main breaker need to be turned off to remove all power from the building.

It's actually pretty common in what used to be farming areas or old horse stables, turned residential. All a matter of the lines on the street being 3-phase or not. I wish mine was, I've got a more then 100 year old, 20" bandsaw with a 3-phase 1.5 horse motor that I just can't seem to find a good single phase replacement for.

It's actually pretty common in what used to be farming areas or old horse stables, turned residential. All a matter of the lines on the street being 3-phase or not. I wish mine was, I've got a more then 100 year old, 20" bandsaw with a 3-phase 1.5 horse motor that I just can't seem to find a good single phase replacement for.

If you don't mind giving it a kick start and suffering a little loss of power, you can just run it on single phase power.

Also, if you can find another three phase motor, you can make yourself a converter. It's not that difficult.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 7 months later...

Three phase power is more economical for motors than single phase. I wish I had it for my A/C. Lots of homes in Albany, Ga have three phase for their A/Cs. Some are in single phase panels with a three phase style breaker which has an input for the third leg and outputs for all three phases. I put a label in these types of panels that this breaker and the main breaker need to be turned off to remove all power from the building.

This is dredging up a ancient thread but what is being described in the above post is called a Delta Breaker & it is now prohibited by NEC section 408.36(E) (2005 edition) it 1st showed up as 384-16(e) in the 1978 NEC.

delta7.jpg

The breaker pictured is a Cutler-Hammer CH360D.