making a data template

I want to make a data base document for my report writing tasks. I want titles for each part of the inspection such as, site, exterior, roof, foundation, and so on.

Under each of these titles I will store comments, diagrams, links html,links to PDF's and so on. I want a side bar or table of contents of sorts. I would like the side bar to run the length of the pages. This way, no matter were in the doc I happen to be, I can go to the left and click on a title and it will snap me to that page.

Can you imagine what I envision? How do I go about creating such a data base? Will MS Word allow me to make a linkable side bar that runs along all the pages?

What version of Word are you using?

I think you're on the right track with bookmarks and hyperlinks but don't know how you'll get the sidebar to float thru the document with you. Guess you could copy it to each page.

I venture what you're trying to do is kinda what HomeGauge (and probably several others) already does. (See the orange bar at left of picture)

Image Insert:

20081115222214_HomeGaugeScreen.jpg

224.58 KB

I know it feels good to write your own, but perhaps you'd be better off, business wise, spending your time marketing your business instead of writing software that's already been done?? Reinventing the wheel so to speak.

It's not too hard really. In word, make bookmarks, hyperlink them, done.

I attached a practice doc that I made. It took an 30 mins playing around to get the tasks straight. This 5 page doc took another 30 mins to do. Ten categories with ten marks and links would be twice the time I suppose.

You have to push the control key to click the link but it works good.

Download Attachment: icon_word.gif 1Apractice.doc

39.4 KB

I like Chad's suggestion! There is also software called Inspect Express that runs in Word that does exactly what you asked, I think?

Originally posted by John Dirks Jr

I want to make a data base document for my report writing tasks. I want titles for each part of the inspection such as, site, exterior, roof, foundation, and so on.

This one would take a few hours to answer so I will skip to the next one for now.

Under each of these titles I will store comments, diagrams, links html,links to PDF's and so on. I want a side bar or table of contents of sorts. I would like the side bar to run the length of the pages. This way, no matter were in the doc I happen to be, I can go to the left and click on a title and it will snap me to that page.

Can you imagine what I envision? How do I go about creating such a data base? Will MS Word allow me to make a linkable side bar that runs along all the pages?

This is already built into Microsoft Word. Under the View Menu, click Document Map. It will show a clickable list of all the headings in your document and if you click a heading say exterior you will be moved to that part of the document.

Type exterior into your document select the text and format as Heading 1. It will now show up in your document map. You could record that as a macro and create a toolbar and place the macro on the toolbar.

Inside Word with the builtin Visual Basic you can create forms that are linked to a database. Then when you click exterior off the toolbar it opens a form with checkboxes and dropdowns etc. and when you click the write button the information you selected is written to the page.

Maybe I missed what you were after? If not, it's already built.

I could probably put together some sample code... does anyone else want to learn any of this stuff... I know work is slow right now. [:-boring]

Michael

I've been using this application for many years.

Database driven, has your sidebars to click to section you want to go. Fully customizable. Comes with many templates, you can build your own. Not 'just' for the Texas 7A-0 or 7A-1 forms.

When done with report a couple of clicks and it generates a final PDF.

Whisper Reporter from Whisper Solutions